Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Share On:

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:09 pm 
First XI
First XI

.....Shouldn't be surprised though. Katie Piper's attacker Stefan Sylvestrye was released on Wednesday after serving 9 years of a "life sentence". And this after ruining her looks and leaving her partly blind and putting her through pain that none of us could begin to imagine.

Her boyfriend, Daniel Lynch raped Ms Piper and paid Sylvestre to acid attack her. Lynch was also given a life sentence with a court order to serve a minimum of 16 years.

The bastards should be hung. I am fed up with scum like this being put back on the streets. What the hell does a life sentence mean anymore? The police must be wondering what the hell is going on.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:12 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Still not convinced re hanging (and it is 'hanged' not 'hung'), but am in full agreement that such scum should not see the outside world and smell fresh air until they are very old men.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:48 pm 
First XI
First XI

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Still not convinced re hanging (and it is 'hanged' not 'hung'), but am in full agreement that such scum should not see the outside world and smell fresh air until they are very old men.

Don't take this personally, but I often wonder if people not convinced about the merits of capital punishment would change their minds if, God forbid, their wives or daughters were raped then severely disfigured and rendered half -blind by a premeditated acid attack. Terrible thought, but one to ponder upon.

PS: I never try and correct anyone's grammar on here because a) it's a fans forum and not an exam paper and b) it could cause them embarrassment and c) having thereby set myself such high standards it would be bloody belittling if I made a similar error in future posts and d) it might make me look like a pompous arse. In other words it could get me hung, drawed and kwartered, metaforically speakin. I think it's fit for purpose if anyone's posts on here can be understood, grammaticals really shouldn't matter to the nth degree. Some of us struggle to post like they used to due to advanced years and health issues. Please bear this in mind. Hope yow agree. Love from 76 years old and half-blind DGB xx :wink:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:36 am 
Manager
Manager

Should this person have acid poured down his face before any question of release?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:52 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Tham still jed tho.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:51 pm 

Apologies to DGB. Insensitive of me, at best.

And can understand the bit about 'what if your own...' etc., but the law cannot be based on individual retribution.

The guy who burgled my house, for instance, and gave my wife insecure feelings for months would - if caught - have received minimal sentencing. But as an individual, I would have wanted something much more severe.

Hard though it is, we have to take the 'personal' out of the law and legal proceedings. But it would perhaps be beneficial to the general population if we the people collectively demanded that our lawmakers and law-enforcers were given powers to dole out more severe punishments for particular crimes.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:26 am 
Manager
Manager

it would perhaps be beneficial to the general population if we the people collectively demanded that our lawmakers and law-enforcers were given powers to dole out more severe punishments for particular crimes.

How do we do this how do we make criminals fearful?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
it would perhaps be beneficial to the general population if we the people collectively demanded that our lawmakers and law-enforcers were given powers to dole out more severe punishments for particular crimes.

How do we do this how do we make criminals fearful?

I wish I knew the answers but I do feel certain that a Corbyn government would not go down this road.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:23 am 
Manager
Manager

Huddersfield child rapists.

Why the lenient sentences?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:09 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

knocker knowles wrote:

Because it's 'cultural enrichment'

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:17 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

DazDC5 wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

The sentences were appropriate and very lengthy in todays justice system tariffs.

Just a shame no one called Tariff got 20 years ay it,...... and so on and so forth,,,,,,,,,,,

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:13 am 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
DazDC5 wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

The sentences were appropriate and very lengthy in todays justice system tariffs.

Just a shame no one called Tariff got 20 years ay it,...... and so on and so forth,,,,,,,,,,,

I saw yesterday a court sentence an armed robber to 19 years for stealing rolex watches from the Gleneagle hotel.

Now for a child rapist to get 12 years for stealing a childs present and future happiness seems at odds with my values.

Material loss or human loss, what is the greater crime?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:46 pm 

Fair comment - but I suspect it is the 'armed' bit that made the sentence 19 years, not just 'nicking a Rolex'. That said, the offences against children should of course be much greater.

Whilst on such things, I assume all have seen the talk re Trevor McDonald's programme re Beverley Allitt - the nurse who killed several babies & children in her 'care' many years ago? She has a life sentence BUT the shocking thing is that it is all being spent in a 'hospital' rather than a prison.

She may have all sorts of complex mental issues, but for her crimes she should be in a cold dark and dismal cell, with no privileges such as TV. I have always been a 'wishy washy liberal' in the matters, but even I think a diet of gruel is perfectly adequate for someone who has systematically committees the crimes she did. This was not a 'one off' 'moment of madness' 'crime of passion' or any of the other things that sometimes ends with the ending of a life. The key should be lost, and it should be a key to a very meagre existence, not a nice suite in a hospital, with lots of light and colour and entertainment for her.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:21 am 
Manager
Manager

Sometimes intimidation comes in other forms, be that drink or drugs rather than a blade or a gun.

You can be armed with various tools.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:20 am 
Manager
Manager

How long before we look at the cultural issues here.

Do you go on just hoping it wont happen to you and yours?

Rotherham child sexual abuse: Gang of seven guilty

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-45980210

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand