Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Share On:

Post subject: Re: New Labour Leader.
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:40 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

davejonesears wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:
It has to be better than what the party has had these last ten years. Not seen any posts by KK of late on the site, hope he is OK..??

I noticed that - I hope he has just decided that at the moment its better to just let things take their course.

Yes. Come on KK, if you are out there let us know you are ok.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:56 pm 
Manager
Manager

davejonesears wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:
It has to be better than what the party has had these last ten years. Not seen any posts by KK of late on the site, hope he is OK..??

I noticed that - I hope he has just decided that at the moment its better to just let things take their course.

He's probably in mourning for Momentum

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:10 am 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

suiging wrote:
Being a Sir, a multi-millionaire and a rabid, remain European, never mind boring, he is sure to attract all the working men back to the party. As both he and the thick bint only got just over 50%, when will we have the 'People's Vote'?

Nothing wrong with being a 'sir'. Some of us are on the terraces at away games celebrating our solidarity with our working class roots and heritage. Not sure about Kier though....

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:54 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
suiging wrote:
Being a Sir, a multi-millionaire and a rabid, remain European, never mind boring, he is sure to attract all the working men back to the party. As both he and the thick bint only got just over 50%, when will we have the 'People's Vote'?

Nothing wrong with being a 'sir'. Some of us are on the terraces at away games celebrating our solidarity with our working class roots and heritage. Not sure about Kier though....

Hasn't taken him long to start point scoring out of tragedy has it ?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:37 pm 

:wink:

But as predicted, Lisa Nandy gets a top job, Thornberry 'remains in cabinet' but not yet got a job...

Anneliese Dodds - Shadow chancellor
Lisa Nandy - Foreign Secretary
Nick Thomas-Symonds - Home Sec
Rachel Reeves - Duchy of Lancaster
Jonathan Ashworth - Health

Oleaginous Barry Gardiner - OUT
Ex-chairman - Ian Lavery - OUT

Gardiner magnanimous, but Lavery leaving comments an absolute joke: ".... new team must continue to embrace the popular common sense agenda developed in recent years..." Yeah - right - the agenda that gave you the biggest election defeat in history ... THAT popular agenda...

Until Starmer gets rid of these people from the party, not just shadow cabinet or parliament, they will be a constant festering sore that will undermine any attempts to make Labour once again electable.

If they weren't able to persuade the electorate after 9 years of austerity, perhaps economic meltdown resulting from coronavirus pandemic will help? I think we can rely on the ill-disciplined Labour Party to mess it up again....

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:39 pm 

P.S. - what % of the 'man in the street' could put a name to the face of:
Reeves and Ashworth just possibly? but Dodds and the Thomas-Symonds chap?

Nope - nor me.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:19 pm 

Good to see they are mainly a bright bunch, but suspiciously most from a similar stock:
Dodds - a Scot - but moved south to study PPE at Oxford ... and stayed
Thomas-Symonds - a Welshman - but studied PPE at Oxford
Reeves - a Londoner ... who studied PPE at Oxford
(beginning to get the picture?)
Keir Starmer - another London lad, but did Law at Leeds ... and then a postgrad in Law at Oxford

Thornberry - Londoner - Law at Kent
Nandy - Manchester-born, studied Politics at Newcastle
Ash worth - Salford lad who studied at Durham (something financial as went as adviser to Gordon Brown in Treasury)

So - as always - not a Midlander in sight and not one who has worked in anything other than a nice office as a lawyer/financier....

When are we going to get guys and gals who have worked as teachers, doctors, engineers, scientists, electricians, plumbers.... in other words people who have worked in jobs where they meet as a matter of course REAL people doing REAL jobs?

Oh for the days of John Prescott (ex-union leader of seafaring folk who worked on the ships). Even Gentleman Jim Callaghan was a working farmer (not just a landowner!).

Does the modern Labour Party UNDERSTAND its roots?

I never 'blamed' a Labour MP because they went to public school (it was not THEIR choice), and I never 'blame' a politician for going top a top university (if they are bright, it seems a good trait!), but I do despair that so few seem to have forged careers in which they work alongside and to help 'the working class' they represent.

Similarly, I never crowed about a Labour politician begin at Grammar School but voting for comprehensive schools (having spent all my professional life working in them!). But where I think they lose out is that though it is fine to BELIEVE in comprehensive education, they never really seem to UNDERSTAND the system they espouse. And that is partly why - whenever given the chance to change things - they have made JUST AS MUCH OF A MESS of secondary education policy as the 'other lot'. None of them understands the NEEDS of young people and the range of provision that is needed. So we concentrate on the very clever (quite right) and the very weak (quite right) and the vast number on the middle just get a watered down diet of what suits 'the most academic' (quite wrong).

Sorry.... rant over (not that many of you will have got this far!)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:25 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

If I was Boris now I would welcome sir keef by saying,

" Thank you for your observations regarding a perceived lack of an exit strategy for the pandemic, however, both the government and the cabinet are working extremely hard to stem the tide of this silent and historically unprecedented killer, to those ends, and in light of the fact that we are all in this together, I am asking her majesties opposition to concentrate all of their minds and resources to arrive at an exit strategy that can be examined by the current government when they and the country are able to do so"

I expect sir keef's quiff to go boiyong!!

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:29 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Good to see they are mainly a bright bunch, but suspiciously most from a similar stock:
Dodds - a Scot - but moved south to study PPE at Oxford ... and stayed
Thomas-Symonds - a Welshman - but studied PPE at Oxford
Reeves - a Londoner ... who studied PPE at Oxford
(beginning to get the picture?)
Keir Starmer - another London lad, but did Law at Leeds ... and then a postgrad in Law at Oxford

Thornberry - Londoner - Law at Kent
Nandy - Manchester-born, studied Politics at Newcastle
Ash worth - Salford lad who studied at Durham (something financial as went as adviser to Gordon Brown in Treasury)

So - as always - not a Midlander in sight and not one who has worked in anything other than a nice office as a lawyer/financier....

When are we going to get guys and gals who have worked as teachers, doctors, engineers, scientists, electricians, plumbers.... in other words people who have worked in jobs where they meet as a matter of course REAL people doing REAL jobs?

Oh for the days of John Prescott (ex-union leader of seafaring folk who worked on the ships). Even Gentleman Jim Callaghan was a working farmer (not just a landowner!).

Does the modern Labour Party UNDERSTAND its roots?

I never 'blamed' a Labour MP because they went to public school (it was not THEIR choice), and I never 'blame' a politician for going top a top university (if they are bright, it seems a good trait!), but I do despair that so few seem to have forged careers in which they work alongside and to help 'the working class' they represent.

Similarly, I never crowed about a Labour politician begin at Grammar School but voting for comprehensive schools (having spent all my professional life working in them!). But where I think they lose out is that though it is fine to BELIEVE in comprehensive education, they never really seem to UNDERSTAND the system they espouse. And that is partly why - whenever given the chance to change things - they have made JUST AS MUCH OF A MESS of secondary education policy as the 'other lot'. None of them understands the NEEDS of young people and the range of provision that is needed. So we concentrate on the very clever (quite right) and the very weak (quite right) and the vast number on the middle just get a watered down diet of what suits 'the most academic' (quite wrong).

Sorry.... rant over (not that many of you will have got this far!)

Don't worry Silvers, Rayner 's a thick slapper, she'll waterdown all that Oxford verbiage

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:12 am 
Manager
Manager

Good post, SW, I did read it all the way to the end too..:-)

Oh, and I was a Grammar School lad too back in 1963....:-)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:21 am 
Manager
Manager

Damn that Stamer, he's only gone and axed Richard Burgon, the funniest thing on TV since Little Britain.

All that's left is Dodds the only living cast member from The Magic Roundabout.

Anyone else noticed the lack of Abbott, Butler, or the ever lovely Kate Osamor in high office? I wonder why that is? Mmmmmm.. perhaps that bright chap Lammy can help....?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:22 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

https://www.voice-online.co.uk/news/uk- ... secretary/

Got to hand it to the Labour Party, I did not think they could distance themselves any further from my lifelong support but hey ho they fuckin smashed it.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
https://www.voice-online.co.uk/news/uk-news/2020/04/07/david-lammy-appointed-as-shadow-justice-secretary/

Got to hand it to the Labour Party, I did not think they could distance themselves any further from my lifelong support but hey ho they fuckin smashed it.

But Rozza, don't you realise he had a friend in Grenville ? That means he has the right to be a victim, and as with all victims, it's the police's fault init...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand