Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Share On:

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:39 pm 
Manager
Manager

Not much happening on here of late so I thought I would share my " Corona Virus social distancing" experiences so far here in Swindon, Wiltshire. Please note these are my local experiences here and not applicable to all sorts or types of fellow distancers nationwide.

JOGGERS

Sadly, around here, they are the most arrogant and inconsiderate bar stewards by far. I have seen two wearing face coverings ( I do accept that it must be hard to run and have your mouth covered up). They do not give way nor move aside when an opportunity arises, they just run head on towards you...in other words: " get out of my way, pensioner, how dare you block my path..". they also cannot measure two metres spacing either, many have run past me from behind on a narrow pathway and on occasion, brushed against me when passing. These instances I have experienced have occurred both on street pavements and in a local park. I think the taking of a sharp pointed umbrella or my baseball bat might improve matters amongst this breed..:-)

DOG WALKERS

By and large very respectful and aware of social distancing. They do cross roads and across pathways to maintain a safe distance. I do the same, if I see a person with two dogs on a path, I will cross over to the other side of the street / pathway to give them space whilst they control two dogs. They also speak to you too, wishing you a good morning or afternoon etc. These are folk of all across the age spectrum but the younger element do not speak much, eyes down and walk past and get on with their task. I have sometimes experienced delays on narrow park pathways whilst Fido stops to pee, poo etc but it is what it is and you know you have to keep a safe distance away and wait for them to move on, c'est la vie.

CYCLISTS

As they are on the roads, not usually an issue with them social distancing but there are still many who, to my eternal anger, cycle on the pavements and they do not move aside or onto the road, again, like the joggers, they come straight at you at speed. The younger element are more guilty in this respect, they seem to feel it is their right to cycle off the road for safety issues but clearly, Article 64 of the Highway code clearly states that "You must NOT cycle on the pavement". I have seen a few larger groups of cyclists, obviously out for the day or a few hours respite, seven or eight strong, usually spaced out well enough but the odd couple or three riding two or three abreast and chatting away merrily without face masks.

FELLOW PEDESTRIANS

So far, reasonable experiences, nothing too bad or dangerous, most people seem to accept the distancing required and do keep their distance of two metres or so but some have not and sadly, again, it is the younger element who are not doing so, a space of just a metre and no face covering seems OK to them at all times..but, that said, I have also noticed a high percentage of older folk, some I know well, who will not entertain wearing any sort of face covering and chat with friends at very slim distances. At present it is not compulsory to wear a type of face covering when outside in the public areas but that may well change soon and will be both interesting and also for some, very contentious. I have always worn a type of face covering since lockdown, I decided to be prudent and proactive, a mask will not stop you breathing in any virus spores but it does help people passing you to not inhale a lot of your breath exhalation. Some covering, in my view, is better than none.

SHOP WORKERS ETC.

Hats off to this group of people keeping the basics of daily life going for us all. They must be worried sick every day at work, wondering who they have served that maybe unknowingly has the virus, or just had it and recovered but still a carrier, so to speak or someone who they have served that may prove positive for it a day or so later. Russian roulette for these workers. Staff filling shelves move aside when the see you approaching and they have obviously been well trained in this discipline by their managements. Checkout staff having Perspex screens in front of them now after nothing initially after lockdown, is a big boost to both staff and customers alike. Some stores operate a "one in, one out" style of entry etc, probably a good move to limit numbers inside as otherwise people would mindlessly wander in and get too close to each other whilst buying. I have managed to get some slots for Click and Collect at Tesco and Asda locally and it is a good service and keeps your contact with other shoppers down to the minimum, just a member of staff or two loading the boot of my car with groceries.

NHS and POLICE

I have a junior doctor three doors away, he is always busy on various shifts 24/7 at the local GW Hospital, do not see much of him at all for obvious reasons but have asked him once that if he needs any shopping etc to pop a note through my letterbox. The NHS has never been more relevant now in our society than at this time and like other institutions, have been taken for granted for too long by many of us out there. We must, after this hopefully eases or at some stage, ends, re-examine our complete NHS system from top to bottom and Government must arrange stocks of PPE and other essential pieces of kit to be able to operate efficiently and more importantly, safely. The staff in both hospitals and Care Homes have been left badly wanting for essential supplies and despite the fact that no nation could have seen this virus coming so swiftly with its devastation, we have been dreadfully slow in responding and obtaining supplies of PPE and have put an impossible burden on to an already struggling sector. We just cannot thank our NHS staff enough so far and also probably, for the foreseeable future, they are angels on earth, for sure. Their pay rates need to be examined and increased to honour their ongoing sacrifices, commitment and loyalty.

The Police here have been very noticeable in their frequent patrolling of the town and local areas, I usually always see one or two cars out and about whatever time of day or evening that I go out for my hour's exercise. I have not been stopped myself but have seen a few people stopped at random and quizzed about their "essential journey." There has been one pub here so far caught opening clandestinely despite lockdown and subsequently fined etc, there has to be the odd one or two rogue landlords about I suppose, I sympathise with their lack of income etc but keeping a lockdown fully operative must have priority at such times as we are now experiencing.

Well. that is about it now, I would be interested in hearing of all your experiences in your areas of the country. No doubt some will be fine and dandy, others horror stories but just the same, all part of what we are undergoing and seeing day to day in weird times for us all. Stay well, stay safe and get your experiences down in writing, it is good to get stuff off your chest as they say..have a rant, have a moan, clear the weeks of frustration..!! If nothing else, like me just now, it has kept me occupied for an hour or so and that can't be bad from the usual boring daily routine..!!!

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

Living on the edge of not much until you hit the welsh coast, walking with my lad in the countryside is a daily occurrence.

Most walkers and dog-walkers all try their best to keep the greatest distance they can down the trails. Mountain bikers are either very good or a total menace. The worst offenders are families with more than one child, probably from the near town. The kids are either wild and not taught about the need for distancing or the whole family walk three or four abreast and expect you to climb a tree.

The most worrying part is female walkers who keep a polite distance and wave a cheery hello. They keep the required distance as do I, but as you walk into the space they have just vacated, their perfume in the countryside fills the air. If a perfume molecule can find its way to your nose some many yards after its owner has past......well.

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:18 pm 
Manager
Manager

JOGGERS. My main gripe, had quite a few come from behind you and fail to maintain social distancing. Pass within inches some of them.

DOG WALKERS/CYCLISTS/FELLOW PEDESTRIANS. No problems with these on the whole although we usually make the first move to evade. A few cyclists and pedestrians were outed on the local facebook page for cycling/walking along the towpath of the local cut, most of which is about a metre wide. One covidiot defended himself by saying as long as you are sensible and don`t sneeze or cough on a passer by it was o.k.

SHOPWORKERS/ NHS/POLICE doing a grand job. Don`t envy them with some of the idiots they have to deal with.

Let`s see what happens as restrictions are gradually relaxed in the coming weeks. Hope we can avoid that second wave some are predicting.

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:01 am 
Manager
Manager

Thanks for your replies guys, interesting views and I do realise that for all of us in this current plight are having to do things totally alien to what we have had a lifetime of never doing..crossing the street to avoid contact with another pedestrian.. moving to the side of a two metre pathway to keep away from a potential carrier..looking behind yourself every few minutes on your daily walk to see if a jogger is approaching you..looking at a family of four walking holding hands on a tight/small pathway and coming straight at you and there are as Suiging says " no trees to climb up"...:-)...

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:56 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

When I am out walking my dog I find that in general, the other users are quite respectful to each others space and the use of greeting is far more common now.

I found that travelling to a more remote woodland place was far more beneficial to me than sharing a crowded towpath or a track where one was in danger of being crushed by the Peloton of lumpy wheezy fuckers who had gotten their bikes out of the coal shed that they put them in the last time they used them during the blitz.
I however, was urged to conform to current guidelines by my family who constantly encouraged me to stop being a twat so I resumed to disused railway tracks and pavements and parks.

In general my middle aged angst has been rarely tested but I do draw the line at teenage fuckwits riding their bikes on the back wheel only whilst pulling a wheelie in the middle of the road.

My main bitter ball of murderous rage is solely focussed on the seemingly endless bunch of retarded Top Gear wannabee young men who think that the speed limit of a road only exists for other users than them and whilst driving like complete twats at twice or three times the limit will in fact increase the size of your penis and make you irresistible to women.
I have a secret desire to approach their mangled car whilst it is wrapped around a garden wall or a tree with the helpless, trapped incumbent bleeding profusely and screaming for his mom or a solicitor and begin loffin like a drain before ambling away in a jaunty fashion.

Everything else has been cushty really .

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:08 pm 
Manager
Manager

Rozza wrote:
When I am out walking my dog I find that in general, the other users are quite respectful to each others space and the use of greeting is far more common now.

I found that travelling to a more remote woodland place was far more beneficial to me than sharing a crowded towpath or a track where one was in danger of being crushed by the Peloton of lumpy wheezy fuckers who had gotten their bikes out of the coal shed that they put them in the last time they used them during the blitz.
I however, was urged to conform to current guidelines by my family who constantly encouraged me to stop being a twat so I resumed to disused railway tracks and pavements and parks.

In general my middle aged angst has been rarely tested but I do draw the line at teenage fuckwits riding their bikes on the back wheel only whilst pulling a wheelie in the middle of the road.

My main bitter ball of murderous rage is solely focussed on the seemingly endless bunch of retarded Top Gear wannabee young men who think that the speed limit of a road only exists for other users than them and whilst driving like complete twats at twice or three times the limit will in fact increase the size of your penis and make you irresistible to women.
I have a secret desire to approach their mangled car whilst it is wrapped around a garden wall or a tree with the helpless, trapped incumbent bleeding profusely and screaming for his mom or a solicitor and begin loffin like a drain before ambling away in a jaunty fashion.

Everything else has been cushty really .

Taking it all rather well then Rozza....

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:06 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

As I said, cushty.

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:34 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I tend to mostly walk the suburban streets as I don't want to drive to the park and the local lanes tend not to have footpaths which can be pretty dangerous when you step out 2 metres into the road to pass someone with Rozza's top gear wannabees around.

Most people have been ok and respectful and we have a little wave and greeting as we deliberately avoid each other. I recognize Gladbachs serious joggers who hog the space and give way to no-one but there are also a lot of plodder/joggers ( i do a bit of that) who are more inclined to do a bit of a dance as both parties decide to move out of the way at the same time and both move to the same side. Cyclists mainly keep to the road but there are a fair number who think a gathering of 7 or 8 is a group of 2 or less. The shop workers have all been great, I think there is a bit of a community spirit about and the bigger places all have proper measures in place. A shout out for the local corner shop too where they have often had things that weren't available at the supermarket.

All in all it hasn't been too bad for me. By the way DJE the traffic does seem to have increased in the last week.

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
I tend to mostly walk the suburban streets as I don't want to drive to the park and the local lanes tend not to have footpaths which can be pretty dangerous when you step out 2 metres into the road to pass someone with Rozza's top gear wannabees around.

Most people have been ok and respectful and we have a little wave and greeting as we deliberately avoid each other. I recognize Gladbachs serious joggers who hog the space and give way to no-one but there are also a lot of plodder/joggers ( i do a bit of that) who are more inclined to do a bit of a dance as both parties decide to move out of the way at the same time and both move to the same side. Cyclists mainly keep to the road but there are a fair number who think a gathering of 7 or 8 is a group of 2 or less. The shop workers have all been great, I think there is a bit of a community spirit about and the bigger places all have proper measures in place. A shout out for the local corner shop too where they have often had things that weren't available at the supermarket.

All in all it hasn't been too bad for me. By the way DJE the traffic does seem to have increased in the last week.

Glad to see you are keeping your eye out ;)

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:18 pm 
Manager
Manager

I have noticed that the road traffic here in Swindon, Wiltshire, has notably increased a bit these last two weeks, some of this increase may have been people returning to work after a week or ten days off over the Easter period. But compared to the first two weeks or so of lockdown, traffic has gone from near zilch to a slow increase over the time...and I think that when I do my walk tomorrow at 08-00 that it will be more heavier..

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

I go running one day, cycling the next, repeat ad infinitum. My current run takes in Lower Penn from The Springhill up and over and down to The Greyhound, then down to the Langley Road and back home. I always steer clear of other folk, switching to the road or other side when approaching and most other folk seem to do likewise, although their is an element of 'chicken' at times. My run starts over nearby Windsor Playing Fields and the expanses are more than enough for people to walk their dogs in relative solitude. Out on my bike and only on the country lane between Trysull an Wombourne do I need to shout the odd "excuse me", or up the access road at the bottom of Stourbridge Road that takes you back up to Lloyd Hill. Over all, people seem to be acting sensibly and being friendly in to the bargain, but that said I am not encountering any local scrotes. My one pal took his dog over 'The Green' yesterday and saw a group of young scrotes smoking weed. Sadly, ill educated fucktards of this ilk believe that their age deems them immune to the killer virus, and they don't need to adhere to any of the advice.

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:47 am 
Manager
Manager

Here is todays Traffic Report from the DJE houshold....."What lockdown?" :)

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

Lockdown? Schmockdown

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

Lockdown would have been far more effective had we shut down the airports and not let in 15,000 people a day into our main airports. How can you lock people in at home most of each day yet leave airports open to all comers.??? It is like locking your front door overnight but leaving the patio doors unlocked...

I had a really good laugh yesterday whilst walking back from the paper shop, a jogger was coming straight at me on a pathway that is only a metre wide at best, there were parked cars all over the side we were on and trees overhanging, so there really was nowhere to go for either of us, anyway, he darted to his right between two parked cars....and....collided into one of them...I should have shown concern but sadly, I suppressed laughter until I had moved on a bit more...Specsavers..!!!

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Lockdown would have been far more effective had we shut down the airports and not let in 15,000 people a day into our main airports. How can you lock people in at home most of each day yet leave airports open to all comers.??? It is like locking your front door overnight but leaving the patio doors unlocked...

I had a really good laugh yesterday whilst walking back from the paper shop, a jogger was coming straight at me on a pathway that is only a metre wide at best, there were parked cars all over the side we were on and trees overhanging, so there really was nowhere to go for either of us, anyway, he darted to his right between two parked cars....and....collided into one of them...I should have shown concern but sadly, I suppressed laughter until I had moved on a bit more...Specsavers..!!!

Defies logic, and it`s still happening.

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:24 am 
Manager
Manager

Some weeks further on now but down here things very much the same as they were when I wrote this piece. One new addition to the categories I mentioned: The Mobile Phone "blocking the pavement" twat, ignoring your presence and wish to move past as he/ she either carries on talking or reading his / her messages....am I invisible or what you F*****G moron..???..I give up at times with the human race...

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:35 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Some weeks further on now but down here things very much the same as they were when I wrote this piece. One new addition to the categories I mentioned: The Mobile Phone "blocking the pavement" twat, ignoring your presence and wish to move past as he/ she either carries on talking or reading his / her messages....am I invisible or what you F*****G moron..???..I give up at times with the human race...

Only at times ??

Get yourself over to facebook & read some of the absolute rubbish on there - that will reaffirm your ascertion. Unadulterated piffle posted by stupid morons and then shared by even stupider morons.

I have to stop myself from commenting as you know the aggresive threatening vitriolic comments will follow.

I really do despair at the cesspit subversive breeding ground of idiocy facebook has become- a mirror of the human race.

This site is a veritable Nirvarna of consideration- disagreements yes maybe, but an underlying thought process can at least be seen in most of it.

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:47 am 
Manager
Manager

Yes, DJE, "only at times" as what we have seen with people helping out others, donating to charities, and in the main, complying with national instructions it shows that the human spirit is still alive in today's world.

Bacefook and Twatter are places to avoid at the best of times, never mind what we are enduring now. I have been on Bacefook for three years now, mainly to re-establish contact with old work colleagues from Germany in my time there from 1972 to 1999. I go on it a couple or three times a day for odd messages etc but have long blocked some people's political views and biased opinion over many facets of life, you just don't need bullshit and hatred as there is far too much around anyway..my main use of FB of late has been to chat with an old work colleague who is dying in hospital in Glasgow, kidney issues where he has been deemed unsaveable now and time is slowly running out for him, so for him and me, it is a bridge of contact in dark days. Some clouds do have silver linings..

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
Yes, DJE, "only at times" as what we have seen with people helping out others, donating to charities, and in the main, complying with national instructions it shows that the human spirit is still alive in today's world.

Bacefook and Twatter are places to avoid at the best of times, never mind what we are enduring now. I have been on Bacefook for three years now, mainly to re-establish contact with old work colleagues from Germany in my time there from 1972 to 1999. I go on it a couple or three times a day for odd messages etc but have long blocked some people's political views and biased opinion over many facets of life, you just don't need bullshit and hatred as there is far too much around anyway..my main use of FB of late has been to chat with an old work colleague who is dying in hospital in Glasgow, kidney issues where he has been deemed unsaveable now and time is slowly running out for him, so for him and me, it is a bridge of contact in dark days. Some clouds do have silver linings..

A noble use of it- in fact the only true benefit of social media.

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:24 am 
Manager
Manager

It is absolutely impossible to social distance in supermarkets. People queue orderly to get in and then it all goes belly up. Most stores are not laid out adequately to maintain a 2 metre distance for a start. Then you have the random idiots who don't give a toss anyway and I have seen staff wearing t-shirts with "keep your distance" on the back just breeze past you almost rubbing shoulders. I had to ask a group of four members of staff to move aside as they were chatting in the main exit aisle. Bloody stressful this shopping lark I tell you. Be glad when it`s all over and the other half will start going on her own again. :)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:02 pm 
Manager
Manager

My latest experiences here in Swindon:

Thursday evening around 20-45 hours, knocked off balance whilst turning a junction corner pathway by a f**king skateboarder who hurtled into the park entrance as I was turning the pathway corner, I heard a noise as I was turning onto the pathway but a second or two later he brushed past me at breakneck speed and nudged me off balance onto the flower bed area, I chased him once recovered but the twat had sped on quickly as he heard me swearing at him. As he was wearing a hoodie, did not recognise any facial features etc.

Tuesday ( this morning):

Had to urgently hop into the grass verge area by houses next to a main pathway ( about a metre wide at best) as two female joggers ran towards me together and did not deviate from their path and once they were running straight at me from two metres away, I took evasive action and swore at them as I did so. No apology, they carried on jogging and chatting together.

This is in my town area and I do wonder if people further afield may have experienced similar. Most people have been very fair and considerate since lockdown but there is a small percentage who are selfish, inconsiderate and just downright bastards. My baseball bat has been dusted down and is ready for immediate use on selfish joggers and cyclists in the very near future. :-)

Talking of cyclists, the buggers here cycle on the pavements and expect you to move out of the way when they go past...the next one who rings their bell at me when I am walking on the pavement will taste the bat....:-)

Rant over.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
My latest experiences here in Swindon:

Thursday evening around 20-45 hours, knocked off balance whilst turning a junction corner pathway by a f**king skateboarder who hurtled into the park entrance as I was turning the pathway corner, I heard a noise as I was turning onto the pathway but a second or two later he brushed past me at breakneck speed and nudged me off balance onto the flower bed area, I chased him once recovered but the twat had sped on quickly as he heard me swearing at him. As he was wearing a hoodie, did not recognise any facial features etc.

Tuesday ( this morning):

Had to urgently hop into the grass verge area by houses next to a main pathway ( about a metre wide at best) as two female joggers ran towards me together and did not deviate from their path and once they were running straight at me from two metres away, I took evasive action and swore at them as I did so. No apology, they carried on jogging and chatting together.

This is in my town area and I do wonder if people further afield may have experienced similar. Most people have been very fair and considerate since lockdown but there is a small percentage who are selfish, inconsiderate and just downright bastards. My baseball bat has been dusted down and is ready for immediate use on selfish joggers and cyclists in the very near future. :-)

Talking of cyclists, the buggers here cycle on the pavements and expect you to move out of the way when they go past...the next one who rings their bell at me when I am walking on the pavement will taste the bat....:-)

Rant over.

Isn't Swindon just a bit chavvy? No offence!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:29 pm 
Manager
Manager

Embers, Swindon is not a "bit chavvy"....it is very chavvy...heh heh.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:11 am 
Manager
Manager

The whole country is descending into near anarchy. Down our leafy lanes and towpaths, irks and chavs have discovered trikes and scramble bikes. Hoards of the scum, scream at walkers to get out of the way as their two-stroke, decibel producing, extensions of their limp cocks, cause havoc in the wonderful countryside. Dogs have been killed, and the elderly forced into hedgerows.

My son, who as many may remember, is a big daft lad, puddled both mentally and physically, simply freezes as they shout at him to get out of their way on paths which are clearly marked they should not be on. I now have to hold his hand, believe me a pain after about five miles, our normal hike to tire him out, designed so me and his mom can get at least three hours kip.

I have taken to walking with my 'offensive' walking sticks. I have two from my time in SE Asia, one made by Cold Steel, a fine Taiwan blade maker, the other by K-Bar the same company that make USMC combat knives. The next wannabe Hells Angel that forces us off a National Footpath, will be introduced to either as they go past. They are not blades, but genuine walking sticks, just a tad heavier and unbreakable even with a good swing at a tree.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:13 am 
Manager
Manager

Provided that we stay a metre apart, I can come up there and assist you Suiging, in this ongoing war against the boneheads, I have my own baseball bat too..:-)

Just this morning around 08-20 walking back from the newsagents shop on a one metre footpath, two cyclists, the front one a bearded twenty-something lycra lout followed or accompanied by an older lady Mother, Granny?) drove straight at me whilst cycling on the pavement. I stood my ground and raised my arms horizontally and stood still, hoping to have them move on to the road whilst yelling for them to not cycle on the pavement and also to keep their distances. Fat chance, when he was around a metre away and showing no sign of moving across on to the road, I had to swiftly jump aside or else would have been knocked down. The abuse rained out from me and neither of them said anything, neither apology nor responsive abuse back to me. Highway Code booklet clearly states in article 64, "You must NOT cycle on the pavement." It has been a problem here for many years now but with social distancing guidelines in place for three months now, some people just ignore it all and their attitude is "Fuck You".

War has been declared in Swindon by Gladbachwolf. Cyclists and Joggers, you have been warned... :twisted:

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:18 pm 
Manager
Manager

What you have to appreciate is that in our green and pleasant land, live a lot of thick people, and there also live a lot of selfish people, and on top of that there are a lot of thick selfish people. You only have to see the scenes of Bournemouth beach and the aftermath of a hot day in the sun drinking booze. Elsewhere, street parties are taking place FFS. Wait until News at 10 on the 4th of July, there will be fireworks, and not for celebrating America independence.

Ding-ding, Rona round 2.

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand