Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » MEMBERS LOUNGE » Classifieds

Share On:

Post subject: Wasp Nest
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:55 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

Last Season I'm afraid, buyer to collect as pretty fragile. Will swap for a 4 pack of Harp or a Hofmeister T-Shirt....

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Wasp Nest
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:39 am 
Manager
Manager

I aye too sure about this as I got stung last year - bloke promised me a nest and sent me a vest with holes in it.

I've got some Woodpecker Holes if you'd want a swap.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:43 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

We had a wasp nest up in our eaves 3 or 4 years ago. We called out the local council (Birmingham) pest extermination team. When thy arrived they told us they couldn't use ladders to get up to it because of health and safety so they had to tackle it from ground level??? After putting together a contraption like the old chimney sweeps brush with several poles joined together, they used it to spray some wasp killer into the nest. Quelle surprise, it didn't work.

I found out later that they all leave the nest anyway after a few weeks when the queen has done her duty and they rarely come back to the same place so the problem resolved itself eventually.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:14 pm 
Manager
Manager

I always thought that Wasps built or swarmed like Bees but, they don't. Our Wasps make little cocoon type honeycomb nests which are easy to knock down as long as you're nimble enough to get out of their angry path after you've destroyed their house. :lol:

I have lots of fruits growing and the Wasps are useful in the earlier months of growing eating stinging whatever they do to other predators, but later, they too become a pain in the backside injecting your fruit and spoiling it - that is the time to strike first and get rid. :wink:

So no bids on my pristine Woodpecker Holes - I could throw in a CD of their wood hammering for an extra Fiver. :roll:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

We've had two wasp nests at our gaff. The first one, was in the loft, and I remember hearing the little buggers eating through the insulation. We got a local pest control bloke round, and he gave me the Queen's nest, this little egg, with a hole in it. Two years later, we got a nest in the front garden, inside some shrubs. I fucking hate wasps, because they just don't leave you alone, and take the hint, whereas the beautiful bee, just goes about it's business.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:09 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
We've had two wasp nests at our gaff. The first one, was in the loft, and I remember hearing the little buggers eating through the insulation. We got a local pest control bloke round, and he gave me the Queen's nest, this little egg, with a hole in it. Two years later, we got a nest in the front garden, inside some shrubs. I fucking hate wasps, because they just don't leave you alone, and take the hint, whereas the beautiful bee, just goes about it's business.

I got a Bee sting a year or so ago and my whole hand swelled up in reaction. I got stung about 11 times by Wasps as a kid and never had a reaction at all. Can't fathom it.

I see some folk out here (mainly foreigners) hang jars of jam and water which attracts the Wasps and drowns them - considering most folk have grape vines growing for shade as well as fruit, they're a pain in the ass. Hence, I only grow grape vines down the garden and well away from where we sit/eat/drink during the summer.

Is this not a typical example of going off thread. :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

had a wasp nest in front of my kitchen window in Thailand. Went to the building site up the road and brought back a bloke who without ant protection pulled up the drain cover and with thousands of the fookers all over him removed four toilet seat like nests and gave them to the local kids to suck for the comb.

Bravest or most stupid thing I've ever seen............Can't make my mind up

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:48 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
had a wasp nest in front of my kitchen window in Thailand. Went to the building site up the road and brought back a bloke who without ant protection pulled up the drain cover and with thousands of the fookers all over him removed four toilet seat like nests and gave them to the local kids to suck for the comb.

I don't know what's more stupid, taking on the wasps unprotected, or sucking honeycomb that's been down the drain. What persuaded this bloke in the first place?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:51 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
suiging wrote:

I don't know what's more stupid, taking on the wasps unprotected, or sucking honeycomb that's been down the drain. What persuaded this bloke in the first place?

The honey for the kids

Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

Wasps don't produce HONEY. :lol:

Mark Twain

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:01 pm 
Manager