Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Share On:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:58 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Well todays the day the UK starts the leave process.

What do you hope for, what are your key aims and what are your key doubts?

Hopes:

that we can continue to trade freely between each other, we all need the trade to flow as before.

that travel between the countries does not get made fraught and difficult due to our exit.

that EU nationals working here and UK citizens living or working abroad in the EU zones all get their current statuses confirmed as OK for the future.

Key Aims:

to look after our people firstly and foremostly.

to try and get the best possible deal for us on all counts, initially trade, security and cooperation.

as well as holding on to current trading partners, we can also increase the number of other countries to trade with as well.

that we research as much as deeply and physically possible about all the potential pitfalls that can be thought up that may harm us in the longer term. How many thousands of issues would that be..?? An almost impossible job to master even given two years to do it in.

Key Doubts:

that we will get a favourable deal. We will be treated like shit by the rest of the powers in charge at the EU.

That just two years to sort out a deal is sufficient time. There is an unknown amount of issues and potential pitfalls awaiting us that nobody, on either side of Remain / Leave ever even dreamt about last June.

That Labour, Lib Dems, SNP and also some Tories in parliament all move on with the progress of Brexit. Myself, I see a general election soon called by Teresa May to ask the country for a mandate for Brexit as voted for by the people last June.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:16 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

gladbachwolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Hopes:

that we can continue to trade freely between each other, we all need the trade to flow as before.

that travel between the countries does not get made fraught and difficult due to our exit.

that EU nationals working here and UK citizens living or working abroad in the EU zones all get their current statuses confirmed as OK for the future.

Key Aims:

to try and get the best possible deal for us on all counts, initially trade, security and cooperation.

as well as holding on to current trading partners, we can also increase the number of other countries to trade with as well.

that we research as much as deeply and physically possible about all the potential pitfalls that can be thought up that may harm us in the longer term. How many thousands of issues would that be..?? An almost impossible job to master even given two years to do it in.

Key Doubts:

that we will get a favourable deal. We will be treated like shit by the rest of the powers in charge at the EU.

That just two years to sort out a deal is sufficient time. There is an unknown amount of issues and potential pitfalls awaiting us that nobody, on either side of Remain / Leave ever even dreamt about last June.

That Labour, Lib Dems, SNP and also some Tories in parliament all move on with the progress of Brexit. Myself, I see a general election soon called by Teresa May to ask the country for a mandate for Brexit as voted for by the people last June.

Amen to that.
I really believe the trio of knobs Corbyn Farron ans wee Jimmy Cranky we go to
any lengths to keep us in the EU.
I should add that I want to be governed by British parliament which is why I voted to leave.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:34 am 
Manager
Manager

wolfrunna wrote:
gladbachwolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Hopes:

Key Aims:

Key Doubts:

Amen to that.
I really believe the trio of knobs Corbyn Farron ans wee Jimmy Cranky we go to
any lengths to keep us in the EU.
I should add that I want to be governed by British parliament which is why I voted to leave.

I think in general terms the vast majority of the UK population would be much better off within the EU and with Corbyn, Rarron and the SNP in coalition.

I believe the front line services would be once again be up to scratch and poverty levels would be reduced.
As would crime on the streets with this meaningless austerity removed.

The only thing that would once again go up would be peoples life span.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

What BREXIT basically means to me is that my status as a British Citizen living within another EU Country is now in flux - whatever happens, I will lose the protection offered to me and used by me in the past to protect my status within the EU.

As far as I am concerned, you lot that voted Leave, will regret your choice on the ballot paper within 5 years as NOW, if you're a businessman/woman, you are basically ripping up every international contracts you have/had for sales and services within the EU and will have to negotiate new contracts with probably many tariffs and taxes added to the confusion. Why buy British when it is easier to buy German, French, Greek etc.

BREXIT has not started the end of the EU as previously thought; countries that were expected to follow suit have done nothing and their Political Leavers have not gained power as expected so there is no sign of any Domino effect.

Immigration in the UK will not change one little bit except, perhaps, more EU folk will need to obtain a visa or be on a 90 day limit. However, the shite coming in from Africa, Asia, Near East, Middle East and Far East will continue unabated.

I still fail to see anything good or positive about BREXIT, but only time will prove or disprove my theory that leaving is one very big costly mistake.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:26 am 
Manager
Manager

The biggie and what I'm looking forward to is when the Tories sell the nation down the river to preserve their precious financial services industry.

How the right wing media go about fooling the general public once again.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:07 am 
Manager
Manager

Good luck with this lot. Arlene Foster power breaker well I never.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Unionist_Party

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:49 am 
Manager
Manager

#coalitionofchaos

Well, if Britain wasn't a laughing stock on the continent because of its politicians before, it well and truly is now :lol:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:57 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
#coalitionofchaos

Well, if Britain wasn't a laughing stock on the continent because of its politicians before, it well and truly is now :lol:

This is no laughing matter!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:35 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
shropswolf wrote:
#coalitionofchaos

This is no laughing matter!

If you didn't laugh, you'd cry - the UK has spent almost a decade now chasing its own tail.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:04 am 
Manager
Manager

A complete dog's dinner and a total mess at every level. The chant "You don't know what you're doing" comes to mind...sad for the country as a whole...the country is like a blind man alone wandering on the top of a cliff..

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:12 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Our friends in the DUP will ensure a hard Brexit, was worried a big majority would enable a sellout.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

THE BIG BAD WOLF wrote:
Our friends in the DUP will ensure a hard Brexit, was worried a big majority would enable a sellout.

DUP, all the way, fu...

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:42 am 
Manager
Manager

With friends like the DUP, who needs enemies? :lol:

Shameful.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:05 am 
Manager
Manager

SpaceMonkey wrote:

Shameful.

Its dangerous it really is, even previous Tory Prime Ministers like Major and Cameron knew to keep their distance.

There's never a normal peace in Ireland its more a controlled peace where if you step in the wrong direction on a saturday night you can still lose your kneecap.

British politicians know they cant take sides but have to be firmly neutral, without neutrality that powderkeg is close to the match.

And this Alene Foster just about controls a mob of corrupt crooks masquerading as politicians.
Many of these people wouldn't be out of place working for Al Capone.

Weak and Wobbly could have far more to answer for. Crazy fucker.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:20 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
SpaceMonkey wrote:

Shameful.

Its dangerous it really is, even previous Tory Prime Ministers like Major and Cameron knew to keep their distance.

There's never a normal peace in Ireland its more a controlled peace where if you step in the wrong direction on a saturday night you can still lose your kneecap.

British politicians know they cant take sides but have to be firmly neutral, without neutrality that powderkeg is close to the match.

And this Alene Foster just about controls a mob of corrupt crooks masquerading as politicians.
Many of these people wouldn't be out of place working for Al Capone.

Weak and Wobbly could have far more to answer for. Crazy fucker.

How would you classify that thug McCluskey ?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:50 pm 
Manager
Manager

After an exhausting and successful national campaign, it is hard for campaign strategists to think of next steps. But we are at a critical historical juncture, and a range of opportunities present themselves. Choosing the right political and economic strategy now is vital. 

Labour should pursue two major complementary policy goals. The first: to end austerity, and implement a Green New Deal across Britain. 

The second major policy goal: to reset the framework and relations with our European partners; and to gain policy space and Treaty reforms which benefit British citizens as well as all Europeans. 

To achieve the first goal, the task is to assemble a progressive alliance of British MPs, including the Greens, the SNP,  the Lib Dems – and even some Conservatives -  to back an end-to-austerity alliance. There should be a singular goal: to demand that government – and the Treasury in particular – end austerity immediately, and begin to invest in the creation of skilled, well-paid employment in areas of the economy vital to both economic, but also energy security. The latter goal – of greater energy security - is particularly important at a time when nearly a third of the UK’s liquefied gas imports are from a Gulf state, currently at the centre of a potentially ugly middle eastern conflict – Qatar. 

This will lead to investment in infrastructure and the creation of skilled and unskilled jobs locally, especially targeted toward areas of low-paid, insecure employment. Greater energy efficiency will lower bills, but above all a Green New Deal will begin to build Britain’s defences against the threat of climate change; a threat only too real to the agriculture sector, and to those individuals and firms living and working in for example, areas vulnerable to flooding. 

Given that BREXIT negotiations with EU partners begin in just a few days, and thus far in the worst possible atmosphere and approach, from both Brexiteers  but also to some extent reflected on the European side, it is crucial that Labour and allies put forward an alternative European strategy straight away. 
The aim of this strategy should not be focused narrowly on simply securing ‘the best deal’ for Britain, but to reset the whole long-term relationship with Europe for the benefit not just of Britons, but of all Europeans. 

The purpose will be to enable Britain to have access to the Single Market and customs union, while also achieving improvements in economic policies across the European Union and the Eurozone.  Already our European partners are discussing the necessary Treaty changes to enable the Eurozone to work more effectively. This provides an ideal opportunity to discuss issues that could enable a positive and mutually beneficial economic, social, security and environmental framework for the relationship between Britain and current European partners. 

To achieve this, it is most important to ensure that we have time. For this to happen we must seek to extend the Article 50 timeline to at least four-years. But this requires Britain now to make clear that it would fully honour all budget commitments during this period and in particular, confirm that EU citizens resident in the UK would have their rights protected.  

This should include a commitment to pay our fair share for the future mutual benefits arising from our future framework of partnership. 

For Labour’s progressive economic policies (e.g. railway nationalisation) to take effect a number of EU Treaty as well as policy changes would need to be negotiated and agreed. The neoliberal economic policies that underpin austerity within the EU need to be changed. 

First, a stronger commitment to full, good quality employment should become a primary, not secondary aim of Article 3.3 of the Treaty on European Union.

Second, Article 126 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union sets in concrete the so-called excessive deficit rules – ultimately punitive. This reflects the ‘household budget fallacy’ so prevalent in neoliberal economic theory.  At the same time the Article ignores other major economic imbalances, such as the excessive build-up of private debts and the imbalances in current account surpluses and deficits. 

Third, some restoration of more discretion on state aid matters to be restored to member states under Article 107. 

Fourth, the policies that require the liberalisation of public services, or impede the democratic power to restore sectors to public ownership, need to be changed so that this becomes a democratic choice of the member states. 

Last but not least (for now), the provisions on industrial strategy need to be strengthened, including the role of the European Investment Bank (EIB). We need to strengthen the role and tasks of the EIB, if there is to be a European as well as UK Green New Deal.  

If the aspirations of the British people, as expressed in the election result, are to be fulfilled by Labour, and to avoid the dissipation of the momentum and energy generated by the campaign, it is urgent that Labour lays out a viable and popular political and economic strategy.  We believe that the ideas outlined above would attract substantial political and popular support. 

http://www.primeeconomics.org/articles/ ... o-act-fast

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:26 am 
Manager
Manager

What connects Brexit, the DUP, dark money and a Saudi prince?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/what ... -1.3083586

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 497 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand