Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat

Share On:

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

Sat 03 Feb Wolves v Sheffield Utd (17:30)
Sat 24 Feb Fulham v Wolves (17:30)
Sat 03 Mar Wolves v Reading (17:30)
Wed 07 Mar Leeds v Wolves (19:45)

...plus the next weekend open sees us play Villa, which is odds-on to be another TV game.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

They're all SKY Sports games I guess? No guarantee that they'll be shown on Bulgarian TV LIVE and also, no £5 option from Wolves TV when the games are on SKY so it might be down to searching for those 'Little Rivers' again. :cry:

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 pm 
Manager
Manager

This is to be expected. If we keep on motoring like we are, then expect eve more telly coverage, such as Boro away on Good Friday. Shame about the Leeds switch, as I was going to go to that game, on the lash me mukka and his Leeds posse. Ho hum.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
This is to be expected. If we keep on motoring like we are, then expect eve more telly coverage, such as Boro away on Good Friday. Shame about the Leeds switch, as I was going to go to that game, on the lash me mukka and his Leeds posse. Ho hum.

Same. I was planning on going to Leeds on the Tuesday night, but need to be in work til 6 on the Wednesday. Pity

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:14 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Damn nuisance!

Fulham - had arranged to go to game with son, then booked dinner in London, and train home.... Now can't manage unless stay overnight....

And the Reading game now clashes with a dinner in Wolverhampton I am booked to attend..... The dinner is due to be served soon after half time!

This fixture onsense is the one reason I am uneasy about promotion - you can virtually kiss goodye to football at 3.00 pm on a Saturday.....

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:10 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Damn nuisance!

Fulham - had arranged to go to game with son, then booked dinner in London, and train home.... Now can't manage unless stay overnight....

And the Reading game now clashes with a dinner in Wolverhampton I am booked to attend..... The dinner is due to be served soon after half time!

This fixture onsense is the one reason I am uneasy about promotion - you can virtually kiss goodye to football at 3.00 pm on a Saturday.....

For those who have to travel some distance it makes buying a season ticket next year a poor option. However, without having a season ticket it'll be difficult to get a ticket for the Saturday 3:00 pm kick offs in a decent spot...or perhaps even at all.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:42 pm 
Manager
Manager

SELWolf wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Damn nuisance!

For those who have to travel some distance it makes buying a season ticket next year a poor option. However, without having a season ticket it'll be difficult to get a ticket for the Saturday 3:00 pm kick offs in a decent spot...or perhaps even at all.

Premier league football creates a growth market, passing on an unused matchday ticket will be easy, the demand outstrips the capacity.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:27 pm 
First XI
First XI

I am a season ticket holder, and loving every second of this season after years of stagnation and boredom. I shall revel in our championship glory and take the piss out the shits' demise. I am seriously thinking about not renewing for next year even with the early bird option exactly because of this.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:06 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2016/17

February/March...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:17 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Damn nuisance!

Silver, you sure do like a dinner :lol: I can envisage you post-dinner, in the drawing room, with a fine cognac and a cigar on the go.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:23 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
Premier league football creates a growth market, passing on an unused matchday ticket will be easy, the demand outstrips the capacity.

Maybe, but it doesn't get you to the matches you may have to miss because they have changed the published kickoff.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:28 pm 
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

What is it with Leeds on TV so often,far more than nyone else.
It isn't as though its scintillating football,it isn't.
Is there some contractual reason or some other reason ?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 pm 
Manager
Manager

wolfrunna wrote:
What is it with Leeds on TV so often,far more than nyone else.
It isn't as though its scintillating football,it isn't.
Is there some contractual reason or some other reason ?

Nearly everyone likes to see Lees beaten. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:52 pm 

Embers wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Damn nuisance!

Silver, you sure do like a dinner :lol: I can envisage you post-dinner, in the drawing room, with a fine cognac and a cigar on the go.

Spot on - except I no longer smoke... but add the leather chair and open fire and you're there....!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Embers wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Damn nuisance!

Spot on - except I no longer smoke... but add the leather chair and open fire and you're there....!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:44 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
SELWolf wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Damn nuisance!

Surely the point is that you can't watch the game you wanted...not that you are finiancially recompensed for the multiple games you wont be able to watch.

The Premier/Sky TV deal has reached a saturation point in my opinion & assumes people want and are able to watch football every/any night of the week...some people have lives.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:54 pm 

Got a sneaking suspicion there will at some stage be a backlash.

Sky already cannot afford to keep putting oodles of cash into coffers - they are simply not getting revenue back. The bubble will burst, and when it does, more clubs and players will choose to go back to Saturday afternoons, to please THEIR supporters, not TV executives.

Incredibly few sit watching wall-to-wall live football in TV. I will with Wolves games that I cannot attend (and record those I do, for later re-viewing!), but I ave little interest own games between other clubs. Even the 'big games' are so over-hyped that I find it difficult to get too excited - or care.

For watching most games, the MotD 'highlights' are more than enough. (Some games they struggle to find 2 minutes worth watching; imagine having sat for 100 minutes in front of your TV for THAT 'live coverage'.)

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:49 am 
Manager
Manager

Amazon and facebook will make the next TV and viewing deal the highest cost price in history.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:25 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Amazon and facebook will make the next TV and viewing deal the highest cost price in history.

Yep. Sky and BT are so worried it's forced them to work together. Skys way of making sure football is on the platform even if they don't win any of the auctions. That tells you everything tbh! Can't think of a better time to get into the Premier League :wink:

The Premier League hold so much power over Sky. Who would pay for a Sky sub without Premier League football? Sky have tried to split the sport channels up as a kind of future proofing of this eventuality, but without football Sky would suffer hugely. They basically have to pay whatever is needed and up their prices accordingly.

BT coming in and buying up the Champions league / Some of the PL packages was bad enough, but once Amazon/Facebook start flashing their Billions around, no chance. Sky could well end up with just 1 of the PL packages come the next round. If they got none, disaster.

Can't say I feel sorry for them though. They held a monopoly for so long and really fucked over the average fan with their prices for decades. Cry me a river.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:13 pm 
Manager
Manager

Most of those rumours of a new bidder are just put out there by journalists doing Scudamore a favour. In the past it was Eurosport, then it was Virgin media, then it Beinsport.

Sky then ends up getting nervous and paying over the top 0 big bucks for the clubs and a bonus for Scudamore, higher fees for the viewers though.

Amazon buying live sport doesn't make any business sense and indeed I think the cotnracts stipulate that the games have to be shown through traditional media i.e. can be watched on TV and Amazon doesn't have television channel.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:24 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Most of those rumours of a new bidder are just put out there by journalists doing Scudamore a favour. In the past it was Eurosport, then it was Virgin media, then it Beinsport.

Sky then ends up getting nervous and paying over the top 0 big bucks for the clubs and a bonus for Scudamore, higher fees for the viewers though.

Amazon buying live sport doesn't make any business sense and indeed I think the cotnracts stipulate that the games have to be shown through traditional media i.e. can be watched on TV and Amazon doesn't have television channel.

It's hardly rumours Shrops. Amazon have said it themselves publicly.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... oadcasting

Both Amazon and Facebook would have no issue losing money. It's about growth and bringing people to their platforms more than making a profit (right now, at least). The cash reserves of both companies dwarfs anything Sky or BT have.

It's also why the 2 enemies have decided to join together somewhat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... -channels/

If either lose out on rights, at least they'll still have football on their platforms.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:26 pm 
Manager
Manager

For those of you who like a stat.

Match of the Day.

Between 1964 and 1992 Wolves appeared 73 times.

Liverpool top with 220.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:11 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
For those of you who like a stat.

Match of the Day.

Between 1964 and 1992 Wolves appeared 73 times.

Liverpool top with 220.

Pretty sure it was more than 73. The last time was the 3-1 win at the Poorthorns in 1983 before the start of our long exodus from the top flight.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:52 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:

Yep, but how soon?
A new TV deal due, very soon..it could add millions to clubs.
Its the real reason Ashley is stalling at NUFC

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:26 am 
Manager
Manager

CANNOCK WOLF wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Yep, but how soon?
A new TV deal due, very soon..it could add millions to clubs.
Its the real reason Ashley is stalling at NUFC

There are bean counters at Fosun projecting income from football in various forms ten years down the road.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:50 pm 

"Yay!

I just recently bought a Fire Stick and signed up for Amazon Prime."

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Forever in my Heart, Mum. 26/06/58 ~ 16/03/12.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:50 am 
Manager
Manager

Premier League rights auction.

The Premier League divides up 200 matches per season into seven packages for companies such as Sky, BT and (potentially) Amazon to place bids to air for three years from 2019 to 2022. These packages vary in quality, offering a mix of options such as highly coveted “first picks” of prime games, and different times and days of the week. Under law, no single bidder is allowed to buy more than five packs.

So what has happened?

The best five packs have been sold, with Sky taking four, for £3.57bn and a 14% discount on its current deal. BT secured only one of the prime packs, at £885m, down from its current £960m and for fewer games. There are two packs unsold; more on that below.
Sky and BT are paying less but the Premier League bubble has not burst

Sky and BT have struck better deals than last time so will subscriptions get cheaper for viewers?

Sadly not. The cut-throat battle between Sky and BT in recent years has seen eye-watering inflation of 70% at each of the past two auctions. The total rights have rocketed from £1.78bn for 2010-13 to £5.13bn last time. Sky has said that anything it saves, at this stage £200m annually, will go toward making and buying new shows such as Riviera and Fortitude. BT is facing a huge bill to roll out next-generation ultra-fast broadband, and has to address a ballooning pension deficit, and is happy to pocket the savings.

So if Sky has done so well what does that mean for BT?

BT believes its customers will not defect to Sky thanks to a groundbreaking content-sharing deal it struck with its rival that kicks in next year. The deal includes allowing customers to access all Premier League matches without having to buy separate subscriptions, until now a major reason why BT and Sky have had to fight tooth and nail for prime games. BT, with other rights such as Champions League football and English and European Cup rugby, believes it is a “viable second” player in sports broadcasting, negating the need for as many Premier League games.

What about those other two unsold packages?

The Premier League is desperate to lure a deep-pocketed Silicon Valley rival, such as Amazon, Facebook, YouTube or Netflix, to continue to drive up prices at each auction. This time round it structured two packages to try to lure one of them. Each allows the simulcasting of 20 games in the form of two full rounds of the Premier League. It hasn’t proved popular and the Premier League has not got the reserve price yet.

Why not?

Premier League rights are some of the most expensive in the world and the auction is UK-only. Players such as Amazon like multi-territory or global deals to make the economics work, which is how Netflix can afford to spend £100m on TV series such as The Crown. The Premier League is hugely popular globally and makes more than £3bn in rights from 80 separate deals. This makes it very difficult for a digital player such as Amazon, which has a cost-effective deal like that with the NFL as it is less popular globally.

So what happens next?

It is thought that the Premier League is trying to sweeten the deal by offering the rights to goal clips and near-live re-broadcast of games, currently held by Sky branded as Football First. They are usually auctioned separately later. The Premier League has multiple bidders still in play – BT is confirmed and Sky and Amazon are thought to be the others – and will hope to push the £4.46bn it has made so far closer to the £5.14bn.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... are_btn_tw

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:39 pm 

... but I'd still prefer Wolves to play 3.00 pm Saturday and not bother watching wall-to-wall football from teams in which I have no interest! But I am just going to have to put up with never knowing when to 'diarise' & book trains and travel and hotels.... Damned nuisance!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
... but I'd still prefer Wolves to play 3.00 pm Saturday and not bother watching wall-to-wall football from teams in which I have no interest! But I am just going to have to put up with never knowing when to 'diarise' & book trains and travel and hotels.... Damned nuisance!

The game sorry the business of top professional football wishes to cater to a wider audience.

Which is good in many respects it opens up opportunities for the overseas fan to view their favourite club.

Also it enables Wolves for example the opportunity of signing some of the Worlds top talent.

Thats globalisation and market forces for you.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:02 pm 
Manager
Manager

I'm glad that I did (watch us on the telly) and was able to come home in five minutes to get pissed and have a good meal.

Role on the next match and bollocks to anything else connected with footie.

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat