Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat

Share On:

Post subject: World Cup memories.
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:40 am 
Manager
Manager

With the World Championship almost with us share a few World Cup memories.

It can be about Bully at Italia 90, even Ron Flowers at Wembley 66.

Or even a non Wolves memory involving any player or any country.

I remember the great Brazil side of 82 with all the flair and movement we see in the Wolves side of today. Wolves do defend better I would add.

Was there ever a better player on the eye than Roberto Falcão?

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: World Cup memories.
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 am 
Manager
Manager

Sitting in the pub at 6.30 am eating a fry-up and drinking cool pints having stayed up all night to watch us go out to Brazil in 2002 was pretty surreal.

I think Michael Owen's goal v Argentina in 98 was probably the most euphoric moment as a supporter. Probably the best goal an England player has ever scored on the big stage and England were looking really strong and as good as anyone at the time. Really enjoyed watching Bergkamp put out the Argies days later after their antics in our game.

The last few have been utterly dreadful as an England fan. Lousy football from start to finish with no creative ideas at all.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 am 
Manager
Manager

oddly not an England Memory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHqFNHaoZk

Letchkovs goal against Germany in 1994

he had no right even getting his head to the ball never mind actually making contact and putting it just past the keeper and just under the bar.

and to top it all he looked like your mates Dad!

loved the goal, just brilliant.

www.vwcaddy.com

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:13 am 
Manager
Manager

The Brazil team of 1970, absolutely a dream to watch. Loved every minute of watching them play their beautiful game. Gerson was a schemer par excellence. Jairzinho a pacy winger and also the legendary Carlos Alberto. Oh, and a guy called Pele too... :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 am 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

My memory will always be when we went 1-0 against Brazil in 2002, and thinking we could actually go on and win the tournament. My Dad, my Brother's and I all hugging in a circle jumping around our living room when that goal went in. Oh how my 12 year old heart broke after that.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:44 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I remember this goal as a kid.... https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yo ... ORM=VDQVAP

I still to this day wonder how he scored that from there, it was the prelude to Muller doing us as well. That tournament for me was a seminal one mainly because we could watch it on a colour telly, I genuinely thought we would do back to back World Cups, but no.
Bogota Babylon fitting up Bobby day help!!! :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

When Holland was called Holland, I loved to watch them play. Free flowing skilfull players cheered on by fans proud to wear orange.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:17 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Sitting in the pub at 6.30 am eating a fry-up and drinking cool pints having stayed up all night to watch us go out to Brazil in 2002 was pretty surreal.

I think Michael Owen's goal v Argentina in 98 was probably the most euphoric moment as a supporter. Probably the best goal an England player has ever scored on the big stage and England were looking really strong and as good as anyone at the time. Really enjoyed watching Bergkamp put out the Argies days later after their antics in our game.

The last few have been utterly dreadful as an England fan. Lousy football from start to finish with no creative ideas at all.
From that very same match. In extra time Sol Campbell rose to head 10 man England to a glorious victory. I was watching the game in a pub in Tipton at the time and the whole place went up, it was about 90 seconds before one of my fellow beer soaked drinking buddies noticed that it had been disallowed. But what a 90 seconds that was!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 pm 
Manager
Manager

lankywolf wrote:
shropswolf wrote:

From that very same match. In extra time Sol Campbell rose to head 10 man England to a glorious victory. I was watching the game in a pub in Tipton at the time and the whole place went up, it was about 90 seconds before one of my fellow beer soaked drinking buddies noticed that it had been disallowed. But what a 90 seconds that was!

Alan Shearer's flailing elbow :evil:

I remember Seaman saving one of Argentina's first penalties and thinking we would do this now.. then Ince promptly missed (thereby confirming why he left Southgate to take on in 96).. a few minutes later David fucking Batty was going to take one :roll:

Didn't almost the same thing happen at Euro 2004 v Portugal? I'm sure Campbell had a header that either went straight in or came back off the bar and then it was put in to send England through, but then the ref disallowed it for a "foul" on the keeper. I remember seeing that in a snooker hall/pub in Scouseland, absolute mania as the ball hit the net, beer flying all over, people leaping on the snooker tables.. then the reality, no goal.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:03 am 
Manager
Manager

Remembering the year 1966.

During the build up to the tournament as a young lad to young to remember the finals of 1962 we used to go over the common for a game of football.
Some days it was 3 a side, some days it was four or five a side occasionally it would be twenty a side.

The older lads the teenagers would be on one side and state they would be Brazil, you can be England.
Each player would pick an international player,we didn't know of many Brazilians back in those days, well apart from Pele, Garrincha and we learnt the names of Vava and Didi from the older lads.

Anyway first game up in World Cup 66 the nation was a buzz, England vs Uruguay with Jimmy Greaves Englands star turn up front.

Uruguay came to frustrate and niggle while England struggled to find any rhythm, final result nil nil and the nation went slightly flat.
Second up Mexico at Wembley in an evening game and we find England struggling again. Hardly any chances.
Well that was until Bobby Charlton picked the ball up deep and began to glide towards shooting range.
And then Bobby fired at goal from distance, what a goal it was.
The nation breathed a huge relief while England from that point found their confidence. Final score 2-0.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:03 am 
Manager
Manager

Backed Sweden when England failed to qualify for USA 94.

https://youtu.be/H_KOQFV51X0

Kennett Andersson scoring freely, impressive Romania, disappointment when Sweden failed to show up against Brazil. Spoke to a Brazilian about it, they were worried by Sweden, surprised they never had a go in the SF.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:12 pm 
Manager
Manager

As an 8 year kid growing up in Wolvo, Argentina 78 was my first World Cup, and I remember Summer Lovin' being top of the charts, I think, and all the ticker tape when Argentina played. This goal was the first of two that stood out for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHXYBosrNy4

To bend one in to the top corner over the wall with the outside of your boot, is an incredible piece of skill, and I've always had a soft spot for Peru with that iconic shirt with the red sash. Cubillas was a cracking player, and it's great to see Peru back at the World Cup.

Then, there was Archie Gemmil's amazing goal against the Dutch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyJTBrbPIHQ

There was also that prat Clive Thomas who blew the full time whistle as Brazil scored what they thought was the winner!

82 was memorable for Bryan Robson's quick opener against France, a magnificent Brazilian team who were beaten by late Italian entrant, Paolo Rossi, and the emergence of a certain Diego Maradona. Then you had Harold Schumacher's horrendous assault on Battiston in the semi-final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqYEpVjpinI

86 was the beginning of the England heartbreak exits for me, the Hand of God, and Lineker's miss against the Argies. Belgium had a cracking side that tournament.

Italia 90 was THE ONE for me, as a 20 year old young buck heading to Magaluf with his pals, and World In Motion in my sould. The opening match saw 10 men Cameroon beat defending champs Argentina, thanks to a clanger from the keeper, but not before Claudio Caniggia was banjoed by Benjamin who's boot flew off in the challenge :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_FHqWXllX4

Caniggia knocked out both Brazil and Italy, but missed the final, and so did England, in more heartbreak. We will NEVER come that close to winning the trophy, ever again, and who knows if our Bully would have done it? The group games were a bit sterile, with a draws against Ireland and the Dutch, and a Mark Wright inspired 1-0 over Egypt (remember their sailors in the crowd?), but then there was the last gasp winner against Scifo's Belgium, and Terry Butcher's blood soaked headband. Next, more Milla magic from Cameroon but lady luck smiling on us with two penalties converted by Lineker, to come back and win, THEN, the tension of the semi-final against old rivals Germany. Pure tension. A spawny goal from Germany with a deflection of the wall sending the ball spinning over Shilton, but the sheer relief when Lineker equalised. There was the hollow feeling as Gazza got booked and the realisation of what it meant, Waddle hitting the inside of the post in extra time, then the bloody penalties...

France 98 was all about that Argentina game for me, and Michael Owen's wonder goal. I was in London at the time, watching the game in a pub in the back streets of Victoria, and nearly cried in elation when the ball hit the back of the net https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4qeDBad2Go Then pin-up boy Beckham shows his petulant side, but we think we've done it in extra time as Sol Campbell heads it home. Then, more penalty misery...

We then had the Sven years, before England fell apart, but me an me mukka spent a week in Germany in 2006, and we watched the England v Trinidad & Tobago (FFS!) game in the fan park in Stuttgart, before going to the Holland v Ivory Coast game, then on to Cologne for the Czech Republic v Ghana game. A great experience, and maybe I should start saving for the 2026 tournament and take our Joe.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:30 am 
Manager
Manager

The 3rd match in 1966 for England saw them face France.

It was a controversial game in which France thought Englands first goal was offside while the second came after a Frenchman was left in bits on the turf by a Stiles tackle.

It would be the last time Ramsey would play with a winger, in this case Ian Calaghan of Liverpool.

Final score England 2 France 0 Hunt with both goals.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:45 am 
Manager
Manager

One sublime moment of WC history not yet mentioned:

Johann Cruyff's back flick in 1974...……………...wow.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:47 am 
Manager
Manager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNc2e9B0Y2U

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:18 am 
Manager
Manager

This England side could create lots of good memories, enthusiasm, positivity and great attitude within this squad.
With the ability to pose any nation problems.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:55 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
This England side could create lots of good memories, enthusiasm, positivity and great attitude within this squad.

I don't share the positivity with this side, think Young at left wing back is like dragging a caravan about a race track and Deli Alli is favoured too much despite his poor form. I applaud our attempts to play football and I think Rashford and Loftus-Cheek offer some hope but English players aren't ready for that yet, maybe in a few years time when some of the lower age groups mature

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:51 am 
Manager
Manager

Mine isn't a memory of a game as such, more the actual tournament. I was 8 during World Cup 1994, and I don't think I watched any matches. I do remember getting up early in the morning to watch highlights, and seeing all of these countries for the same time. I also remember the sticker album, and proclaiming myself Ireland's biggest fan because David Kelly was my hero at the time.

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

Ironfistedmonk wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

I don't share the positivity with this side, think Young at left wing back is like dragging a caravan about a race track and Deli Alli is favoured too much despite his poor form. I applaud our attempts to play football and I think Rashford and Loftus-Cheek offer some hope but English players aren't ready for that yet, maybe in a few years time when some of the lower age groups mature

Fook a few years time, tomorrow never comes with England, Carpe Diem!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:40 am 
Manager
Manager

Kane: “He texted me before and after the game as well - he sent a lot of love hearts and said “Come on England!”. He is rooting for me. He is not just my boss, he’s my mate.”

Harry Kane speaking about his relationship with Club boss Mauricio Pochettino.

Will Nuno be sending his love to Romain Saïss today.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:17 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Kane: “He texted me before and after the game as well - he sent a lot of love hearts and said “Come on England!”. He is rooting for me. He is not just my boss, he’s my mate.”

Harry Kane speaking about his relationship with Club boss Mauricio Pochettino.

Will Nuno be sending his love to Romain Saïss today.

No

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:27 am 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

I don't think Nuno is the sending love hearts emoji type :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:50 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
Ironfistedmonk wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Fook a few years time, tomorrow never comes with England, Carpe Diem!

You can always be building for the future.

Still can't understand why Young was taken, Cresswell, Shaw, maybe even Bertrand, are better options.

Off to Moscow tomorrow then on to Nizhny Novgorod on Saturday night. Shame a lot of England fans listened to the media carping, sounds like it is going great.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:04 pm 
Manager
Manager

Enjoy your trip and the game(s) Big Bad Wolf and come home safe.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 pm 
Manager
Manager

toomb wrote:
Mine isn't a memory of a game as such, more the actual tournament. I was 8 during World Cup 1994, and I don't think I watched any matches. I do remember getting up early in the morning to watch highlights, and seeing all of these countries for the same time. I also remember the sticker album, and proclaiming myself Ireland's biggest fan because David Kelly was my hero at the time.

Toomb, your avatar is a memory in itself...one of the best ever World Cup goals scored, build up was excellent. Carlos Alberto, for Brazil v Italy, World Cup Final 1970. That year was the best footballing WC that I have ever seen.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:50 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:

Yep, enjoy and stay safe.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:55 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:

...ditto, and avoid copping a dose.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:56 am 
Manager
Manager

Actually, where's Moscow, is he on another covert mission? Perhaps he's 'on the ground' at the World Cup doing some surveillance?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:28 am 
Manager
Manager

Messi now understands what he goes through every four years George Best went through most weeks at Man Utd.

And the one quality they both lacked is the one that stands them up as World Class, humility.

If they were bastards their team mates wouldn't take liberties, but Best and Messi are not the shouty types who would give bollockings in the dressing room.

They keep it inside, take it to heart and move on.

Meanwhile those team mates who hope Messi and Best just pull them through will cry for a day, to be in a World Cup squad is enough for their ego.

The beach beckons before their next national call up.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:49 am 
Manager
Manager

My favourite player Toni Kroos

At half time the chat was, What happens next.

I forecast Toni Kroos would win it for Germany.

One lad jumped on that and had an in play bet.

I meant by performance, not by scoring a goal.

Still if a wrong message wins a few notes its happy days.

Board index » WWFC » Wolves chat