Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand

Share On:

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:00 am 
First XI
First XI

......will be a right bear pit I bet. So many divisions on Brexit but there are so many other issues that need to be remembered and dealt with. NHS for one. It is a disgrace the way it is allowed to struggle on day after day.

I will watch with interest to see if they are worthy of government or will we be better off with a Marxist Labour Party taking us into Cuban and Venuzuelan times?

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:06 am 
Manager
Manager

I hope we can debate policy and facts rather than write emotive speculative drivel.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:34 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
I hope we can debate policy and facts rather than write emotive speculative drivel.

I will look forward to you doing that objectively.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:25 pm 
First XI
First XI

knocker knowles wrote:

It'll may be difficult for you to change but give it a go, you never know.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:41 am 
Manager
Manager

Deano's Golden Boots wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Its tough because first sight of a Tory politician creates a feeling inside of wishing to lamp said Tory over the head with an oversize shovel.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:07 am 
Manager
Manager

Question:
Do you think a single person who has any degree of political neutrality attends these events (ignoring the thousands of journalists and liggers who rock up for the hospitality)?

The speeches are just preaching to the converted with a little X Factor aspect of "look how confident/passionate a performer I am on the big stage" for the media.

The sight of IDS looking upward to the assembled onlookers like an infant who's just soiled themselves looks up to their mummy to confess, and then mumbling "the quiet man is turning up the volume" can probably never be topped as an example.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:32 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

knocker knowles wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Its tough because first sight of a Tory politician creates a feeling inside of wishing to lamp said Tory over the head with an oversize shovel.

No emotive stuff there then.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:07 pm 
First XI
First XI

shropswolf wrote:
Question:
Do you think a single person who has any degree of political neutrality attends these events (ignoring the thousands of journalists and liggers who rock up for the hospitality)?

The speeches are just preaching to the converted with a little X Factor aspect of "look how confident/passionate a performer I am on the big stage" for the media.

The sight of IDS looking upward to the assembled onlookers like an infant who's just soiled themselves looks up to their mummy to confess, and then mumbling "the quiet man is turning up the volume" can probably never be topped as an example.

Politicians in the main are fecking useless self-satisying wastes of space. Conservatives are a mixed up bunch of goons, Labour MPs are in my opinion even worse. And they had the gall to slag off Farage.
Saw my local MP Gavin Williamson giving some of his speech this morning. Awful. How has he got where he has?Hope it can only get better.

Last edited by Deano's Golden Boots on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:27 pm 
First XI
First XI

knocker knowles wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Now that's a perfect example of "how to debate policy and facts rather than write emotive speculative drivel". :roll:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:44 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Conservative conference is a very different animal to Labour. There are NO policy decisions, no votes- just an opportunity to 'debate and discuss'. The fringes are much more interesting than the main hall.

But the Conservatives know that Labour is a threat. They know they are BITH divided on Europe (hence the ridiculous Labour motion passed after an agreed weasel-worded composite which basically said 'Vote for this, and you can have WHATEVER you want - in, out, second referendum, re-negotiation - in fact EVERYTHING that means we can oppose WHATEVER terms are agreed with Europe by the Tories....)

Tories will stab each other in the back, but will then rally round somehow. That is their way. But can they possibly manage it this time? Johnson has made May's job impossible. (And she was making a Horlicks of it herself)

That should please KK - but I suspect the rest of us are extremely cautious about welcoming this bizarre collection of left-wing automotons.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:14 pm 
First XI
First XI

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Conservative conference is a very different animal to Labour. There are NO policy decisions, no votes- just an opportunity to 'debate and discuss'. The fringes are much more interesting than the main hall.

But the Conservatives know that Labour is a threat. They know they are BITH divided on Europe (hence the ridiculous Labour motion passed after an agreed weasel-worded composite which basically said 'Vote for this, and you can have WHATEVER you want - in, out, second referendum, re-negotiation - in fact EVERYTHING that means we can oppose WHATEVER terms are agreed with Europe by the Tories....)

Tories will stab each other in the back, but will then rally round somehow. That is their way. But can they possibly manage it this time? Johnson has made May's job impossible. (And she was making a Horlicks of it herself)

That should please KK - but I suspect the rest of us are extremely cautious about welcoming this bizarre collection of left-wing automotons.

Mmmmmm. Johnson. A loose cannon. Used to like the guy prior to his resigning. I now wish they would parachute him over the Gobi desert. He won't rest until a bloody general election is called. He is unfaithful to his missus. Unfaithful to his party. Unfaithful to his country as well in my view in the way he is behaving.
As for Corbyn and his everything to all men. What a weasel.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:59 pm 
Manager
Manager

I caught a bit of boris' speech earlier - couldn't believe my ears when he said he used to be a reporter at express and star

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

Blue and Red are both appalling . How on earth did we get to this situation. Both sides of the political divide couldn't run a piss-up in a brewery.

That said, I believe ( just ) that the one side is working for the country, sort of, albeit incompetently, and not a foreign power or long discredited political creed like the other. A creed which would lead us to a disaster on a magnitude unheard of since the end of WW2, if they ever got to power.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

suiging wrote:
Blue and Red are both appalling . How on earth did we get to this situation. Both sides of the political divide couldn't run a piss-up in a brewery.

That said, I believe ( just ) that the one side is working for the country, sort of, albeit incompetently, and not a foreign power or long discredited political creed like the other. A creed which would lead us to a disaster on a magnitude unheard of since the end of WW2, if they ever got to power.

They are all working for their own careers and ambitions and nothing more. UK politics is a bear pit of caricatures for the simple-minded media to generate their heroes and villains from. It's all a jolly jape for the media barons and the politicians though, unlike the rest of us they won't be hurt from the consequences.

None of these politicians seem to realise that party conferences are now broadcast around the world and what they say for an easy round of applause in front of their own disciples actually reaches the wider public.

What was that cretin Hunt up to? A pathetic attempt to position himself as a future leadership candidate while systematically offending the very people the country is relying on doing a deal with.

You would think it would be impossible for the UK to have a more embarrassing figure of a Foreign Secretary than Johnson but this dipstick is willing to take on the challenge and shows strong signs of being up to it.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:36 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

shropswolf wrote:
They are all working for their own careers and ambitions and nothing more.

My view too.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
suiging wrote:

They are all working for their own careers and ambitions and nothing more. UK politics is a bear pit of caricatures for the simple-minded media to generate their heroes and villains from. It's all a jolly jape for the media barons and the politicians though, unlike the rest of us they won't be hurt from the consequences.

None of these politicians seem to realise that party conferences are now broadcast around the world and what they say for an easy round of applause in front of their own disciples actually reaches the wider public

What was that cretin Hunt up to? A pathetic attempt to position himself as a future leadership candidate while systematically offending the very people the country is relying on doing a deal with.

You would think it would be impossible for the UK to have a more embarrassing figure of a Foreign Secretary than Johnson but this dipstick is willing to take on the challenge and shows strong signs of being up to it.

Indeed

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:29 pm 
First XI
First XI

chriskamara wrote:
I caught a bit of boris' speech earlier - couldn't believe my ears when he said he used to be a reporter at express and star

Indeed. I met him and chatted with him decades ago. He must be jealous of how famous I have become whilst he remains a nonentity. :roll:

Last edited by Deano's Golden Boots on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:05 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

chriskamara wrote:

Indeed. I met him and chatted with him.decades ago.nHe must be jealous of how famous I have become whilst he temains a nonentity. :roll:

You are a celebrity on here DGB.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:43 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I think it is about time that all parties and 'personalities' put their own self indulgence and ego's aside to deliver the best split from Europe possible. It is THEIR constituents and THEIR nation that democratically voted for the process and I believe that they have a patriotic duty to deliver what THEIR nation wants.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:24 am 
Manager
Manager

Left back wrote:
shropswolf wrote:

My view too.

Seconded, my recent posts about there being no credible party to vote for nowadays is holding more water by the day. A national disgrace and scandal. The people of Great Britain are being taken for utter mugs and being taken down a dark alleyway. God help us all. The current state of all political parties is the worst in my lifetime, truly abysmal and shocking.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:44 am 
First XI
First XI

Left back wrote:
chriskamara wrote:

Indeed. I met him and chatted with him.decades ago.nHe must be jealous of how famous I have become whilst he temains a nonentity. :roll:

You are a celebrity on here DGB.

Thanks. But I aim to remain humble. :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:47 am 
First XI
First XI

gladbachwolf wrote:
Left back wrote:
shropswolf wrote:

My view too.

Seconded, my recent posts about there being no credible party to vote for nowadays is holding more water by the day. A national disgrace and scandal. The people of Great Britain are being taken for utter mugs and being taken down a dark alleyway. God help us all. The current state of all political parties is the worst in my lifetime, truly abysmal and shocking.

It is the worst in mine too. But I still prefer to be governed by our shower than the unelected gangsters of the EU.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:35 pm 
Manager
Manager

There are 751 members of the EU Parliament each receiving more than $5,000 for "minor" expenses. Those are postage, internet and telephone services....$5,000 !! Their "major" allowances are not published.

The General Court of the EU as ruled that the public have no right to ask them how they spend their money......Tip of the Kinnock bandwagon

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:41 pm 
Manager
Manager

In addition, the EU's own audit admits to "errors" amounting to 3% of spending. As they spend 0ver a 100 Billion $ a year, the missing 3 billion is considered not a problem by the likes of " I'll clean up" the accounts Kinnock.

Any other job/organisation you can think of that admits to "missing" 3 billion plus annually, but is not bothered ?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:19 pm 
First XI
First XI

suiging wrote:
In addition, the EU's own audit admits to "errors" amounting to 3% of spending. As they spend 0ver a 100 Billion $ a year, the missing 3 billion is considered not a problem by the likes of " I'll clean up" the accounts Kinnock.

Any other job/organisation you can think of that admits to "missing" 3 billion plus annually, but is not bothered ?

Unelected. Unaccountable. They can fiddle what they like. Who is going to hold them to account? They are their own Lords and Masters. Their own Judge and Jury. Detestable bunch.
I don't hate Europe. I don't hate the Labour Party. I just hate the people in charge of both organisations. It is those that make both entities so detestable and why I can't tolerate either.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:50 pm 

Went to a lecture by Andrew Roberts last night on his new biography of Churchill. He is the first biographer to be given full and complete access to the diaries and letters of the King at the time, and all his meetings with Churchill.

Fascinating!

And someone who - though yes born into privilege - served his country in various wars and was very nearly killed several times.

Yes - he made loads of errors, but believed that 'someone who never makes errors, never makes anything' - and he learned from them.

He had a sense of destiny from a very early age (sixteen) - that he would be called by the nation to serve the nation and to save it. (Yes - he wrote that at age 16!) Remarkable.

But he had a clear vision of 'the big picture'. He was happy to make exceptionally unpopular decisions and go against the tide. And was nearly always proved right.

Where are the politicians of vision, and dedication and service to the nation?

Next election, I want a clear VISION and sense of direction for the country. I want to know what the country will look like after 10 years of their government. Surely not too much to ask??

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:28 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Went to a lecture by Andrew Roberts last night on his new biography of Churchill. He is the first biographer to be given full and complete access to the diaries and letters of the King at the time, and all his meetings with Churchill.

Fascinating!

And someone who - though yes born into privilege - served his country in various wars and was very nearly killed several times.

Yes - he made loads of errors, but believed that 'someone who never makes errors, never makes anything' - and he learned from them.

He had a sense of destiny from a very early age (sixteen) - that he would be called by the nation to serve the nation and to save it. (Yes - he wrote that at age 16!) Remarkable.

But he had a clear vision of 'the big picture'. He was happy to make exceptionally unpopular decisions and go against the tide. And was nearly always proved right.

Next election, I want a clear VISION and sense of direction for the country. I want to know what the country will look like after 10 years of their government. Surely not too much to ask??

Vote Moggy

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:52 am 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Fascinating!

This is exactly what I have been going on about during this last year or two. The political landscape is barren and there is nobody around in politics of any credible standing and esteem. We're doomed I tell thee.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:22 am 
Manager
Manager

gladbachwolf wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Fascinating!

This is exactly what I have been going on about during this last year or two. The political landscape is barren and there is nobody around in politics of any credible standing and esteem. We're doomed I tell thee.

The problem lies with what's actually left if the politicians are incompetent. The door for extremism to thrive on both sides of the political spectrum is left wide open.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:51 pm 

suiging wrote:
SilverstoneWolf wrote:

Fascinating!

Vote Moggy

Interestingly, I am going to a lunch in the next couple of weeks where Mr Rees-Mogg is the speaker. Should be interesting. I'll let you know if it either inspires me or scares me!

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » The news stand