Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:17 am 
Manager
Manager

The Christmas season sees Liverpool in town with high quality and speed running through their side.

It will probably be a wake up call to Wolves fans who sometimes get ahead of themselves.

Forecast for this one, Liverpool to win, Wolves to learn.

Score 1-4.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Wolves vs Liverpool
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

It will be interesting to see if both coaches go for their full-strength teams. The start of a run of 4 games in 13 icy cold days.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:12 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

It's a free game .... no-one will expect us to get anything ... lets gew ferrit!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:55 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
The Christmas season sees Liverpool in town with high quality and speed running through their side.

It will probably be a wake up call to Wolves fans who sometimes get ahead of themselves.

Score 1-4.

I remember when a Mel Eves inspired Wolves beat Liverpool 4-1 under the Molineux lights. It will be interesting to see our line-up particularly across the midfield, will MGW start this one? I'd take a point right now!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:28 am 
Manager
Manager

Embers wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Score 1-4.

I remember when a Mel Eves inspired Wolves beat Liverpool 4-1 under the Molineux lights. It will be interesting to see our line-up particularly across the midfield, will MGW start this one? I'd take a point right now!

Was that the game where Wolves were leading 4-0 at half time when Liverpool were considered the best team in Europe. Enjoyed that.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Embers wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Score 1-4.

Was that the game where Wolves were leading 4-0 at half time when Liverpool were considered the best team in Europe. Enjoyed that.

We beat that Liverpool team three years in a row at home.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:24 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I have seen a few in me time, none more stick out than this one, https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1136 just look at Liverpool's side we beat.

If I remember correctly this was the same night that Emlyn Hughes starred on This Is Your Life with Eammon Andrews walking on the pitch at full time with his red book?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:23 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

No reason why we can't turn 'em over again!

Be POSITIVE.... BELIEVE!!!!

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:46 pm 
Wolves Reserve
Wolves Reserve

Rozza wrote:
If I remember correctly this was the same night that Emlyn Hughes starred on This Is Your Life with Eammon Andrews walking on the pitch at full time with his red book?

I was at that game .. in the North Bank with my uncle .. bright lights.. I recall Eamonn collaring him at the 'tunnel' entrance as space was tight.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:55 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Unbeaten top of the table team coming to Molineux, been there before not too long ago, same result would be lovely

Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:29 pm 
Manager
Manager

History repeats itself every now and then...:-)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:39 am 
Manager
Manager

Jota out tonight and hopefully its a start for Cav rather than Traore.

Have to say I hope Traore never starts another game for Wolves and is found a new home Early January.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:10 pm 

Harsh - personally I still think worth persevering. He has indisputable assets. With top coaching Traore can still become a player!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:29 pm 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Jota out tonight and hopefully its a start for Cav rather than Traore.

Have to say I hope Traore never starts another game for Wolves and is found a new home Early January.

It's too early to write him off but I have to admit that I'm unsure about his long-term future with us.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:16 pm 
Manager
Manager

Reports suggest Traore starts tonight and I have to admit I cant take him seriously and he makes me laugh.
He will do well to reach half time without being hooked. Merry Christmas Adama.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

SilverstoneWolf wrote:
Harsh - personally I still think worth persevering. He has indisputable assets. With top coaching Traore can still become a player!

But does he have an indefatigable spirit....and a brain?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:04 pm 
YTS

Not sure what shape we are playing tonight. Is Moutinho playing as a false 9 or will Jimenez be through the middle and Traore will switch between left and right?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:20 pm 
Manager
Manager

I fancy we`ll get something tonight. Not happy with the runaway train choice though. Rather see him on the bench till we can get rid.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:06 pm 
Manager
Manager

Hard lesson of what the absolutely top level teams can do.

First half we should have managed a goal, some excellent play but the lack of ruthlessness killed us - last few home games have seen us far more clinical at last, Jota was a real loss in that respect. The first goal shows how the little errors are so expensive against class - Neves doesn't go with the one-two, Boly comes over a half second too late, Coady is a half second on his heels and the ball's in.

Second half was nothing from us, just a lot of running but we kept our performance respectable. Dry off and get ready for Fulham now.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:09 pm 
First XI
First XI

Yes. No disgrace, beaten by a team in great form.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:33 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Not disgraced at all, some real promise from Wolves, could of really competed if we took our chances but they did.

Asda are glad the fixture is over so that they can put all of their Xmas stuff back on the shelves without fear of them being nicked, so the night was a win win without a win innit.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:02 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Played well especially first half but Liverpool had too much for us, have to admit Van Dijk has proven to be much better than I thought he was, their forwards quality has never been in doubt and I thought Salah was a real menace tonight, no shame in that defeat

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:27 am 

Great performance. Proud of the lads - and Nuno!

Pleased he tried a plan B - putting 5 in midfield and pushing the middle one forwards. (Moutinho in 1st half, and Gibbs-White when he subbed).

Despite the doubters, I thought Traore did exceptionally well (apart from not getting those 2 chances on target in first 15 mins). His control and hold up play was far better than expected. Gave the lie to those (including KK) who say 'get rid in January'. For me, he showed more thane ought to suggest that if our coaches keep working and he keeps listening, we might still have a Premier League diamond on our hands.

Proud of the lads. Now let's get 3 points at Fulham!!!!!!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:11 am 
Manager
Manager

I thought this game shows why we are perfect for tv coverage up to a point because we try and give it a go because our system opens the game out.

Unfortunately against the better teams your good moments have to be executed to a high percentage to stay within the game.
Because we don't park the bus against these sides we have to hope their big moments don't hurt us.

Our controlled passing up to a point is good eye candy for the TV and stadium viewer but through the middle of the field in the creative sector we struggle to join up.

The wing backs are fine both look for the pass and move well to combine once they play a pass.

Saiss was fine, his all round game gave us possibilities but those forward of him struggled for various reasons.
Neves knows how important he is to Wolves functionality but he seems to be overthinking it and its putting a handbrake on his game.
He's a times trying to force a pass, at other times playing to safe, other times feeling frustrated because of the lack of forward options from which to build through.
Moutinho and Traore both tried very hard, never hid, wanted to do well but were on a different wavelength to the games requirements.
We saw at times how Liverpools front players showed them how to play these roles with passing and movement combinations.
Moutinho seemed to have a poorly defined role, caught between positions which enabled Liverpool opportunities to play round and through Wolves initial press.
Traore, well when your able to get him on the ball your just hopeful the next break of the ball will be kind and end up at another Wolves shirt.
You know because there is a lack of spacial awareness your looking at a three pass combination at best, quite often one or none.
Compare that to Liverpool who in the opponents half can string five, six or seven passes together at speed.
Eventually Liverpool ran out comfortable winners in a game that through the second half they could reserve energy levels for those games coming quickly during the Christmas schedule.

Liverpool might ask if they can play us every week, made for them and their style of play.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:53 am 
Manager
Manager

Thought Liverpool handled that like champions, that bit of quality with Salah and van Dijk at each end meant they won comfortably in the end. surprised Jimenez played the full 90, would have thought with Saiss and Traore starting we saw it as a bit of a dead rubber.

Thought Doherty was traffic, and Bennett continues his Jody Craddock impression.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:21 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

We were okay and certainly didn't disgrace ourselves, but it was fairly comfortable for Liverpool. We had fleeting moments but never really looked like capitalising on them. Our two best chances came at 0-2 and the finishing was dreadful, as it was all night.

I thought Liverpool were very good. Excellent link play between the midfield and front three which we coped with quite well on the whole but a couple of lapses and the ball's in your net.

It's a reminder of how far behind the top 2 the rest of the league are, and for Fosun, the standards that need to be reached if they want to challenge for top honours. We are miles away at the moment (as we should be) as are the majority of teams.

Luckily we don't have to play Liverpool every week!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:22 pm 
Manager
Manager

We gave Liverpool a game, but the difference asides to their obvious quality, was their speed of thought. Both goals were were napping, and most of the goals we've conceded this season are very similar. Up the other end, we simply aren't clinical enough, Traore, Doherty, Saiss and Gibbs-White all had great opportunities to score. It's a shame that an in-form Jota was missing, but I'll be surprised if we don't sign a quality striker in January, although that's easier said than done. Overall, we lost to a top quality side but it's imperative now that we go to Fulham with a plan to win the game.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:59 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Reflecting on the match I think the main thing for me is that it was a reminder that seeing the quality of a top team in the flesh is so impressive and how much different it is from watching them on tv. I thought Man City looked a cut above early in the season and we gave them a game and got something out of it. Liverpool looked even better last night. Van Dijk gave one of the better performances I've ever seen live from a defender and he showed us how to deal with a pacy forward like Traore by using his brain and strength, Salah looked different class and as a team they were so well organised, played at speed, and always had the spare player to receive the ball. They should get rid of Keita though if they want to be loved - he spoils the aesthetics by falling over and getting up to fall over again.

This is not to criticise Wolves, we all agree that we gave them a decent game but our best players at £18m or less are mainly good or very good players (notwithstanding the debate about Traore) whilst theirs at £60m or £70m are exceptional. We have progressed massively over the last 2 seasons but there is still a way to go to reach the levels of the top 2. The last time we were at this level I only remember us trying to park the bus against the top teams, not very exciting or ambitious, we now aim to give them a proper game and are learning and developing by it. The times they are a changing.

Just a thought about Neves - is he feeling the pressure of expectation? He now spends more time defending and his ability to regularly find the special pass or shot seems to have left him for now. Could he do with a rest? - with the solid performances from Saiss and the emergence of MGW perhaps his loss for a game or two will not be such an issue to us.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:08 am 
Manager
Manager

Is it true what Roy keane said last week that you have to be very careful what you say to the modern player?

I say that because in the old days certain players would have received a right roasting from the centre back.sweeper.captain Friday night.

You cant just switch off, lack focus, let your concentration levels drop without getting a right ear full, or can you?

Improve your communication and concentration levels Wolves and you start preventing easy opportunities.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies