Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies

Share On:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:16 am 
Manager
Manager

After the lord Mayors show.

Wolves have to work on their spacing through midfield because Southampton are quite good at running through the field.

Forecast for this one.

1-2.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Saints vs Wolves
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:06 am 
Manager
Manager

It's tough to gauge our mentality before the game actually starts. If we come ready to play and ready to fight for 7th after Sunday then we have the better quality in attack to win there, but they are no mugs under Hasenhüttl.

Post subject: Re: Saints vs Wolves
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:52 am 
Manager
Manager

Hopefully the Wembley hangover will be gone, and the lads are raring to go and get that painful defeat out of their system. It will be tough though as Saints need the points to get clear of Cardiff, but they are suspect at the back.

If we're up for it, we will win.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:55 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I thought Saints played quite well against Liverpool last Friday, tough game this and I think another defeat

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:55 am 
Manager
Manager

I would take Oriol Romeu off them in the summer if their new coach wishes to shape his team in a different manner.

We need that type who wont be easily bullied as happened at times against Watford, Romeu is the type that prevents opponents taking liberties.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:49 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Think WOlves are still on the coach and Saints have started without them.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:49 pm 
Manager
Manager

Lousy defending by Saiss, bring back Bennett.

http://www.steadfasttrust.org.uk/

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

Given them a lot of confidence that second, dominating before then.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:37 pm 
Manager
Manager

Our defensive organisation wouldn't look out of place in the non-league.

Just a simple forward run and one pass and they slice through us easily - 2 goals scored, and easily could have had 2 more.

Between 0-1 and 1-1 we actually played well, but we will ship more goals as soon as Soton exert any pressure. Defence needs a real overhaul in the summer - Coady and Saiss aren't good enough for what Wolves what to achieve.

Jota pretty anonymous so far in attack to be honest. The most danger is coming from Doherty but our final touches are too sloppy to convert in the way Redmond has. It spoke volumes that it was left to Boly had to score the equaliser.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:03 pm 
Manager
Manager

Oh God not Traore, game over. How many goals and assists does Doc have compared to Traore, disgraceful.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:15 pm 
Manager
Manager

Traore keeping him onside, normally I can't watch on Saturday and they put up this rubbish on the rare occasion I can.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:43 pm 
Manager
Manager

Soton could have scored 6 against that level of organisation, but 3-1 will do fine for them and secure their safety.

Wolves pretty dreadful all round. Defensively appalling, Jota and Jimenez off colour (that "shot" from Jimenez to equalise went out for a throw-in!) and the midfield couldn't find any passes through.

Nuno with a series of terrible subs for the second week running.

That could be the season done and dusted, but it seems Leicester and Everton have also flopped.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:51 pm 
Manager
Manager

I gather they're off to Spain again, that's nice for them! Some of the worst defending I've ever seen, absolutely shocking. I want to hear what Nuno has to say about that. No urgency, no plan, just awful. Still five more games to go as well...

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:02 pm 
Manager
Manager

Thought Nuno should have shown more patience and not changed things, it was freakish we were losing, show a little more faith. Just a bizarre sub to take off the threatening Doherty. The back three are very much a unit and I don't think Saiss should start ahead of Bennett, he is a midfielder after all.

Shame we looked good for about thirty minutes in that first half and that we had put last weekend behind us.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:05 pm 
Manager
Manager

What a tripe match.

When did we swap our back three with a lower-league side? Jiminez looked like he had a chip on his shoulder all match. Other than Jota we have totally lost our rhythm.
And can someone please teach Traore to do something other than run, round the man and cross.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:07 pm 
Manager
Manager

Wolfhawk wrote:
And can someone please teach Traore to do something other than run, round the man and cross.

We've only got one player out of our entire midfield and attacking options who can head the ball anyway so I'm not sure why we prioritised a winger to cross balls in. And he's always double marked when the ball comes in high.

He did actually finally get in one good cross today, but nothing came to it with Jimenez double marked and midget Jota the only players up there.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:33 pm 
Manager
Manager

Well that was daft.

You cant set up like that and not concede easy chances to any side with a bit of speed.

You just cant recover into defensive positions quick enough. The spacing between less than speedy players gave them next to no chance.

Its like Brazil in 1982, looks good on the eye but its suicide football when daft theory meets up with reality.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:34 pm 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
Wolfhawk wrote:

We've only got one player out of our entire midfield and attacking options who can head the ball anyway so I'm not sure why we prioritised a winger to cross balls in. And he's always double marked when the ball comes in high.

He did actually finally get in one good cross today, but nothing came to it with Jimenez double marked and midget Jota the only players up there.

That was a good cross. When Nuno grows the squad he will probably bring in some players who suit Traore's style of play. We do miss having players who can head the ball. I am looking forward to the end of season transfer rumours sticky opening.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:36 pm 
Manager
Manager

We just do not have the squad to be able to set up against teams that sit back and won't commit to coming forward. Next year we probably will though.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:30 pm 
Manager
Manager

I thought there might be a Cup game hangover. Got to be our worst defensive performance of the season, that being said, the rest of the team weren`t much better. An absolutely shite day at the office, I expect normal service to be resume next week. Insipid substitutions today. We need stronger options in this department, roll on the next transfer window. Not looking for scapegoats in this match but I can`t see Traore ever being a first team regular for us.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:27 pm 
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Thought we were the better side first half, and did really well to get back into it after a another terrible start, only to throw all the good work away within a couple of minutes. But Southampton looked like scoring every time they attacked us, which wasn't that often thankfully. They didn't have to work for their goals, just get the ball in and around our box and it was chaos.

It's hard to put your finger on why we were so shambolic defensively. Only a few weeks ago we put on a defensive masterclasses at Stamford Bridge with only individual brilliance from one of the worlds best getting through.

I think our sloppiness helped Saints grow in confidence. I can recall Boly, Johnny and Neves all playing the ball straight to the opposition under little to no pressure which is so unlike us. Are they already on the beach?

Anyroad, Nuno wasn't too happy after the game, so I'm guessing there were a few words exchanged in the dressing room. They must improve on this next week, else this season could end with a wimper which would be a real shame after what's gone before.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:32 am 
Manager
Manager

Has there ever been in Premier league history a worse set of second half substitutions.

None of the three were anywhere near a fit.

The worst second half performance if you can call it that since Nuno arrived.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:05 am 
Manager
Manager

Must be very demoralising for some of subs, Costa, MGW and Cav normally, to come on with just five minutes, or less often. They aren't going to be able to anything in that time frame. Thought it was a time wasting effort but that can't be the reason yesterday.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:16 pm 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Cannot do a 'Just Got Back'.

What I don;t understand is that we had 67% possession, and had 17 shots, but never looked threatening.

Our passing game was just far too casual at times, and so we gave the ball away. Is that because players without the ball were not running into space giving options??

Defensively, remarkably sloppy. Really really disappointing against a Soton side who played very little football - but didn't need to when such a simple strategy kept working.

Subs were ineffective. Traore made 3 great runs, then just seems to give up. MGW did not touch the ball for at least 5 minutes ag=fter coming on, and was again completely ineffectual. Nice tricks at half time warm-up do NOT make you a footballer. Costa again looked completely disinterested. At least Cav tries....

If I were Nuno, I would have CANCELLED the trip to warm climes, and had the whole squad in for extra work today, Sunday - and told them that 'warm-weather training' was a reward for working their socks off, and NOT an entitlement.

A very very very poor day out (rescued by the company and an overnight stay in Hamble-le-Rice with friends, and a fabulous curry....)

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 am 
Manager
Manager

Our defence was very sloppy for the three goals as well as for another couple of chances which they could have scored from.

It wasn't a case of being affected by Wembley, we played well at times, particularly in the first half, and I couldn't understand how we were losing at half time. However, Southampton blocked a lot of our goal-ward shots in a way that we used to defend. We had 9 corners before they got their first so that gives an indication of how much on the front foot we were.

As they say, it was a bad day at the office.

One last thing, the MotD highlights didn't represent our forward play very well at all but it did highlight our defensive frailties.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:05 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Has there ever been in Premier league history a worse set of second half substitutions.

The subs were truly terrible.

As I posted during the HT interval, the main danger was coming from Doherty, yet Nuno takes him off after 15 mins of the 2nd half for no reason!

If he wanted more attacking trust, the clear and blindingly obvious sub was to remove Jonny and let Vinagre have a go at their full back.

Bennett should have replaced Saiss at the back in the break as well. Coady is lucky nobody else can fill his role at present - this must be addressed in the summer.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:18 am 
Manager
Manager

shropswolf wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

The subs were truly terrible.

As I posted during the HT interval, the main danger was coming from Doherty, yet Nuno takes him off after 15 mins of the 2nd half for no reason!

If he wanted more attacking trust, the clear and blindingly obvious sub was to remove Jonny and let Vinagre have a go at their full back.

Bennett should have replaced Saiss at the back in the break as well. Coady is lucky nobody else can fill his role at present - this must be addressed in the summer.

Yep, that struck me as being odd as well.

Traore got one very good cross in soon after he came on but he didn't do much after that bar win a corner.

The Liquidator... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0yny9f0MY&NR=1

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 pm 
Manager
Manager

Traore is a sprinter, not a footballer. What was he thinking for their third goal? Schoolboy stuff.

If you watched Brighton v Bournemouth on MOTD, you can see how our build up play differs. Bournemouth won the ball deep in their half but they immediately broke at pace, leaving the Brighton defenders on their heels. If it was us, we would have passed the ball around in our half allowing the Brighton defenders to regroup, and their midfield. I know we can break directly with Jots and Cav, but keeping possession when their is no end product, is a waste of time and energy. I think we need to be able to switch our play a bit more, either that or we really do need to strengthen the team with quality throughout, trying to mimic Man City.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:27 pm 
Manager
Manager

I watched it here in Spain and that defending was rank amateur. Had two saints fans either side of me...yuk. The team's mental state is mos t fragile and I feel we won't win again this season now. Confidence shattered. Nuno now needs to rethink his strategy for next season right now.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:44 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

We have given Nuno lots of praise over the past 2 years and I guess he has earned the right to get us through a difficult period. There are some players who are now coming in for criticism such as Coady who I feel has had a good season. It does feel though that we are reaching a bit of a crossroads and football doesn't stay still. I think some teams have worked out ways to play against our style and we will need new personnel and new methods to avoid "second season" syndrome.

Lets not forget the enjoyment we have had so far though. At the start of the season, a top half finish and a good cup run would have been the height of most realistic fans' ambitions and we are close to achieving that unless we do lose all 5 of our remaining matches.

Board index » WWFC » Match day stickies