Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Share On:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:51 am 
Manager
Manager

Well the first game gave us a little food for thought, Cardiff and Blackburn gave us 22 individuals but very little team play.
Difficult to say on one performance, but that stuff over a season is taking you towards mid table at best.

When each team required energy and tempo there was no player able to change it, there were very few combinations to create space.
It was difficult to fathom if these so called teams, they weren't teams had been drilled collectively or if they were playing to the cameras as individuals.

Its ok buying a new side during a summer, its another thing getting them all playing as one unit.
Be sharp against these types, play as a collective, keep your concentration and you will do these teams comfortably.

There's trust lacking within Blackburn and Cardiff by the looks of it, from player to player and player to coach and vice versa.

Nothing that real teams in this division to worry about from those two, by Christmas those fans will be chanting for change.

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:17 am 
Prediction League Winner 2015/16
Prediction League Winner 2015/16

Agree - though lots of hustle and bustle. My only concern as a Wolves supporter would be our ability to cope with set pieces. Do we have the number and size to COMMAND the box? Suspect it will be down to Ikeme to be VERY dominant, in a way he CAN, but don't always do.

E Tenebris Oritur Lux - The Power of Positivity

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:15 am 
Manager
Manager

Keepers who can dominate the box, getting rare arn't they oh for a Matt Murray. Settles everyone doesn't it hearing that word......Keepers...Breeds confidence.
Still KJ has placed his trust in Ikeme and that should give him the confidence to perform.
I like those words trust and patience, sadly lacking within clubs up and down the land, I really trust Kenny Jackett.and have the patience while he gets it right each season.
Because he has a willingness to adapt when required.

I think these players will start enjoying their development safe with the knowledge the coach wishes to improve them, not upgrade on them.
Sometimes the fans lose track that these are people not just a name on a shirt or a team sheet.
Often with families in local schools, players looking to put down roots within local communities.
I want to see these players develop, really looking forward to how our centre half learns week after week against higher quality.
Really looking forward to the challenges this season will bring, and dont see any reason to have any fears. We will get there.
We know were we are going at last, patience and trust, great words.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:42 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
Keepers who can dominate the box, getting rare arn't they oh for a Matt Murray. Settles everyone doesn't it hearing that word......Keepers...Breeds confidence.
Still KJ has placed his trust in Ikeme and that should give him the confidence to perform.
I like those words trust and patience, sadly lacking within clubs up and down the land, I really trust Kenny Jackett.and have the patience while he gets it right each season.
Because he has a willingness to adapt when required.

I think these players will start enjoying their development safe with the knowledge the coach wishes to improve them, not upgrade on them.
Sometimes the fans lose track that these are people not just a name on a shirt or a team sheet.
Often with families in local schools, players looking to put down roots within local communities.
I want to see these players develop, really looking forward to how our centre half learns week after week against higher quality.
Really looking forward to the challenges this season will bring, and dont see any reason to have any fears. We will get there.
We know were we are going at last, patience and trust, great words.

First thing I look for in a keeper. The best don't need to make the saves that crap ones do. The best goalkeepers prevent shots from coming in in the first place

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:30 am 
Manager
Manager

I think we saw with Norwich a team that lacked clear tactical direction, a type of half a plan side.

A team that will test you down the centre of the pitch between penalty area, but seldom stretch your shape.

Norwich have to understand to dominate the centre of the pitch is not the same as dominating the midfield.
The game is far more than chugging up and down with 10 yard passes through that central position.
You have to add width or the illusion of width to make your opponents think.

Without players willing to do the hard yards athletically you limit your game and become predictable.

Where's your width coming from Norwich, Kenny Jackett had your number because he backed them up with his wide men.

Wolves on the other hand were better than even the majority of their fans realised, that was an exceptional display in many ways.
Athletic, vibrant, slick, concentrated, expansive, controlled, thoughtful, professional, very well measured.
Just a performance that oozed of hard work and quality emanating from the training ground.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:02 am 
Manager
Manager

I have to be honest, I saw no Jacobs and no Ricketts, and I didnt fancy us against an experianced Norwich side.
We were absolutely brilliant yesterday. I cant remember watching a Wolves team play football like that in a long long time. There were times yesterday Norwich couldnt get near us.
Olsson sending off, Van La Parra gave him 5 yards, Olsson is quick himself. WHat pace Van La Parra has got :shock:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:03 am 
Manager
Manager

IN the other games, nothing surprised me much. Cardiff poor and I thought Blackburn were better than you gave them credit for KK. Think they were unlucky not to win. Cairney ran the show.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:35 am 
Manager
Manager

knocker knowles wrote:
I think we saw with Norwich a team that lacked clear tactical direction, a type of half a plan side.

A team that will test you down the centre of the pitch between penalty area, but seldom stretch your shape.

Norwich have to understand to dominate the centre of the pitch is not the same as dominating the midfield.
The game is far more than chugging up and down with 10 yard passes through that central position.
You have to add width or the illusion of width to make your opponents think.

Without players willing to do the hard yards athletically you limit your game and become predictable.

Where's your width coming from Norwich, Kenny Jackett had your number because he backed them up with his wide men.

Wolves on the other hand were better than even the majority of their fans realised, that was an exceptional display in many ways.
Athletic, vibrant, slick, concentrated, expansive, controlled, thoughtful, professional, very well measured.
Just a performance that oozed of hard work and quality emanating from the training ground.

Wasted somewhat down here in Football Chat - these comments need to be in Wolves Chat. :wink:

I wonder just how many have measured and realised our progress since the opening game of last season at Preston! This team would have taken Preston apart one year ago.

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:57 pm 
Manager
Manager

Stallion Wolf wrote:
IN the other games, nothing surprised me much. Cardiff poor and I thought Blackburn were better than you gave them credit for KK. Think they were unlucky not to win. Cairney ran the show.

I thought Cairney offered much the same threat as Jacobs would if Wolves were playing Cardiff.

Driving inside off the flank he was able to do so because Cardiff didn't offer a threat against his full back.
Also the Cardiff bench didn't have the required options to make Cairney more disciplined. Imagine a Craig Noone running outside him.
If teams set up against a Kenny Jackett side with a diamond or a three he will look to play out and out wingers to get at full backs.
Then look to add a runner into the box to supplement his striker for a crossed ball.

Watch Wolves against Blackburn, KJ will have stored the information and attack them with the correct combination of players.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:08 am 
Manager
Manager

Watching Leeds at the weekend, good players still searching for confidence and a more complete pattern of play.
Pierce and Cooper at centre back I doubt will ever be a good combination, one takes to much from the other.
You could see Cooper had joined from a lower standard, it was his poor use of time and slow movement when he had seen the danger.
Good player though. Just needs the work.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:53 am 
Manager
Manager

Extracted from BBC Report, Cardiff v Huddersfield.

But Cardiff took control with two goals either side of the half-hour mark.

Mats Moller Daehli had been an increasing threat after moving from wide left to the point of a midfield diamond.

A desperate challenge dispossessed the Norwegian as he jinked goalward, but his midfield partner Whittingham picked up the loose ball and unleashed a brilliant 25-yard left-foot shot into the far corner of the net.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28716515

Mark Twain

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3PabIYDTl_WqVc4Aitv_g

https://twitter.com/wolf_moscow

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:39 am 
Manager
Manager

Still more shocks last night as the real quality has yet to rise and create a pattern for the season.
Losing the first goal has proved a major obstacle for some.

Still waiting for the real Derby County and Wigan to show themselves.

And well done Christophe Berra you little goal hanger you.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:41 am 
First XI
First XI

Johnny Russell is a thick player, they won't get far with him as a lynchpin of their attack.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:48 am 
Manager
Manager

Seyi Olofinjana wrote:
Johnny Russell is a thick player, they won't get far with him as a lynchpin of their attack.

Haven't seen enough of him, though Derby do seem to have a fluency when playing at their best, I like the way they get runners forward of that lynchpin.
Will watch out for that if its breaking down because they fail to add that clever forward option.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:00 am 
Manager
Manager

Last nights game involving Fulham and Wolves came to early in the season for Felix, he just doesn't need to be playing the tactically challenging at this point.

If you play the high press as do Fulham it has to be done with confidence and conviction, with the whole team not just three or fours.

Its so difficult though playing against opponents who have flyer's out wide who continually pull you the other way.
So what do you do when your opponents have maybe the best playmaker outside the Premier league, get at him.
Easier said than done, its like a quarter back dropping deep into the pocket, the Dan Marino who will kill you if you stutter.
Previously Wolves added a neat player, one that kept the ball but tended to lend and share in the same vicinity.
By adding another Dan Marino who can hit those long diagonals time after time which turn you, its impossible to not get sickened.
When you stand off they will keep it and wait as the crowd chants get into them, your patience and resolve slackens then they hurt you with speed.

Its a clever side this Wolves side, well drilled, with each player knowing his role, and more important knowing the importance of that role.
Fulham, they will sack Felix, this seasons Stalle a man of method out of place when the real quality required is massive courage.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:06 am 
First XI
First XI

Magath deserves to be sacked. He has used 20 different players already. He dropped Hyndman who has been the most impressive player in the entire Championship so far this season for absolutely no reason. He doesn't have a plan and he picks his XI out of the air, with very little reason for so many changes.

He signed good players, did the right thing in promoting the swathes of excellent youth players that Martin Jol set back for years. His plan falls well short on matchday.

Even last season he was doing the same. Playing Dan Burn at right back in a game you have to win to stay up? It's really poor management.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:30 am 
Manager
Manager

Magath deserves to be sacked. He has used 20 different players already.

Thats madness isn't it.

How can anything be built with an approach such as that, madness.

Who next for Fulham though, who would be good for their great crop of kids?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:05 am 
First XI
First XI

Two things struck me about them last night:

The team looks unsettled, not unusual for a new team but how can they become settled if they never play together? Their metronome should be Hyndman with Parker for experience. A lot of these players have been through the youth teams together and very very successfully.

When Dembele came on the entire team had to go to the bench to get tactical instructions. Surely they must have had an idea from training.

The complete opposite to what KJ has implemented.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:46 pm 
Manager
Manager

If you're interested, my write up's here: http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/boards/list/s115.htm

It struck me last night that we looked a cohesive unit, with all players knowing and trusting one another. Fulham looked to be a bunch of players who'd been thrown together.

I was surprised when Magath made a change just five minutes in the second half, and then Cauley Woodrow had to go over to the touchline to see what was happening. It was like none of the players were 100% sure what was happening

I write about Wolves

Post Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:49 am 
Manager
Manager

toomb wrote:
If you're interested, my write up's here: http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/boards/list/s115.htm

It struck me last night that we looked a cohesive unit, with all players knowing and trusting one another. Fulham looked to be a bunch of players who'd been thrown together.

I was surprised when Magath made a change just five minutes in the second half, and then Cauley Woodrow had to go over to the touchline to see what was happening. It was like none of the players were 100% sure what was happening

Always worth reading, one of the few to mention Dave Edwards deeper starting position which gained Wolves so much in control.

This weekend against Cardiff, the defensive play of our wide players comes into focus.
Win the game wide and Wolves win the game.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:00 am 
Manager
Manager

Its been mentioned that Fulham played a bunch of kids, truth is Wolves are young but with a more experienced balance within the eleven that started the match.

Joronen 21
Hoogland 29
Bodurov 28
Burgess 18
Kavanagh 20
Roberts 17
Parker 33
Fotheringham 30
Stafylidis 20
Woodrow 19
McCormack 28

average age starting XI: 23,90

Ikeme 28
Doherty 22
Baath 23
Stearman 27
Golbourne 26
McDonald 25
Evans 20
van La Parra 23
Edwards 28
Sako 26
Dicko 22

average age starting XI:: 24,54

Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:50 am 
Manager
Manager

Latest odds for Promotion.

Derby 2/1
Norwich 2/1
Cardiff 12/5
Nottingham Forest 5/2
Watford 7/2
Wolves 5/1
Wigan 5/1
Blackburn 11/2
Middlesbrough 11/2
Bournemouth 11/2
Reading 6/1
Brighton 6/1
Ipswich 7/1
Millwall 10/1
Sheff Wed 10/1
Brentford 11/1
Charlton 12/1
Fulham 12/1
Bolton 14/1
Leeds 16/1
Birmingham 16/1
Huddersfield 22/1
Rotherham 22/1
Blackpool 150/1

Post Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:08 pm 
First XI
First XI

knocker knowles wrote:
Its been mentioned that Fulham played a bunch of kids, truth is Wolves are young but with a more experienced balance within the eleven that started the match.

Joronen 21
Hoogland 29
Bodurov 28
Burgess 18
Kavanagh 20
Roberts 17
Parker 33
Fotheringham 30
Stafylidis 20
Woodrow 19
McCormack 28

Ikeme 28
Doherty 22
Baath 23
Stearman 27
Golbourne 26
McDonald 25
Evans 20
van La Parra 23
Edwards 28
Sako 26
Dicko 22

Fotheringham will never play for Fulham again because he's a lower league journeyman, so that brings the average age down. The other difference is first team experience. Of that Fulham team Joronen, Kavanagh, Burgess and Roberts haven't had a meaningful loan or first team game of any note at all and it's a big step up.

That's not Magath's fault and his attempt at squad turnaround is admirable. The 'smart' football observers have been tipping up this Fulham academy for an awful long time and a boatload of money went into it but ultimately their path to the first team and any plan for the club's long term future were blocked by a dinosaur manager with little to offer in Martin Jol. You wouldn't see the same from a sensible manager like Kenny Jackett.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:59 am 
Manager
Manager

Seyi Olofinjana wrote:
knocker knowles wrote:

Joronen 21
Hoogland 29
Bodurov 28
Burgess 18
Kavanagh 20
Roberts 17
Parker 33
Fotheringham 30
Stafylidis 20
Woodrow 19
McCormack 28

Ikeme 28
Doherty 22
Baath 23
Stearman 27
Golbourne 26
McDonald 25
Evans 20
van La Parra 23
Edwards 28
Sako 26
Dicko 22

Fotheringham will never play for Fulham again because he's a lower league journeyman, so that brings the average age down. The other difference is first team experience. Of that Fulham team Joronen, Kavanagh, Burgess and Roberts haven't had a meaningful loan or first team game of any note at all and it's a big step up.

That's not Magath's fault and his attempt at squad turnaround is admirable. The 'smart' football observers have been tipping up this Fulham academy for an awful long time and a boatload of money went into it but ultimately their path to the first team and any plan for the club's long term future were blocked by a dinosaur manager with little to offer in Martin Jol. You wouldn't see the same from a sensible manager like Kenny Jackett.

Is it perhaps too much of a step up too soon?

"Oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! UNBELIEVABLE!" - Gary Neville 2012

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:08 am 
Manager
Manager

]Its been mentioned that Fulham played a bunch of kids, truth is Wolves are young but with a more experienced balance within the eleven that started the match.

Joronen 21
Hoogland 29
Bodurov 28
Burgess 18
Kavanagh 20
Roberts 17
Parker 33
Fotheringham 30
Stafylidis 20
Woodrow 19
McCormack 28

Ikeme 28
Doherty 22
Baath 23
Stearman 27
Golbourne 26
McDonald 25
Evans 20
van La Parra 23
Edwards 28
Sako 26
Dicko 22

average age starting XI:: 24,54[/quote]

That's not Magath's fault and his attempt at squad turnaround is admirable. The 'smart' football observers have been tipping up this Fulham academy for an awful long time and a boatload of money went into it but ultimately their path to the first team and any plan for the club's long term future were blocked by a dinosaur manager with little to offer in Martin Jol. You wouldn't see the same from a sensible manager like Kenny Jackett.[/quote]
Is it perhaps too much of a step up too soon?[/quote]

I think it is if you dont have a set pattern of play running right through the club, watching Fulham they dont, also applies to Reading FC.

There's no doubt Fulham have exceptional young individual players but without a team frame work they will do well not to struggle trying to make that break through.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:46 am 
First XI
First XI

There's the problem, they had a manager who never had a team plan. He never worked on patterns and never worked on fitness. A shambles all round but he smiles and talks like a Dutchman and somehow managed to get Spurs to 5th place so it isn't recognised that it was actually one of the worst pieces of management of the Premier League era.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:52 am 
First XI
First XI

In response to Mike's point; maybe. I don't think it is though if using the right players. Magath's selections are bizarre, he played Dan Burn at right back against Assaidi for Stoke last season when Fulham HAD to win. There's no justification at all for that.

Burn had 2 very successful loan spells and a clear pathway to the first team so he has experience. Woodrow had a good loan spell with Southend and excelled himself in the Premier League last year. Kacanicklic was voted the second best player in the Swedish national team with years of Prem experience. So 2 of those players have been completely ignored when they're amongst the best players in the Championship.

Players like Hyndman and Chris David look good enough albeit they lack experience. I never thought that much of Hyndman at youth level but he looked great against Ipswich and I'm not sure why David never had a loan but is a very creative player, both were played in the first game and now disappeared. Bring those 2 in and then Pat Roberts (it's well documented how good he is) and then there's no need to be starting inexperienced players straight away who it might too big of a step for.

They should never have been favourites but they should be competitive for a playoff place while adding some structure and experience to these youth players.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:09 pm 
Manager
Manager

I just dont get the massive outlay on Ross McCormack then place undue pressure on the lad with fitness remarks then play him out of position.

With the massive Forward talents of Moussa Dembélé and Patrick Roberts at the club Fulham should have been creating opportunities for further development, not adding an obstacle to their progression.

Dan Burn also has to be given every opportunity, he tries to play football out from the back. If Fulham dont want him I hope Kenny Jackett is watching.

In fact thats a given, Kenny Jackett has superb knowledge on nearly every player within English football.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:08 pm 
Manager
Manager

More thoughts on Fulham from tomorrow's Independent:

Quote:
Little more than four years ago, under Roy Hodgson, Fulham’s finest hour came when they contested the Europa League final in Hamburg. At the time Brentford had just finished ninth in League One in their first season since promotion. Magath was Schalke coach. When Fulham appointed him in February he had been out of work for 18 months and was available. The club regarded that as a great stroke of luck at the time. Six months on, they might realise now why it was the case.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/felix-the-dictator-magath-has-been-brutal-in--rebuilding-fulham--and-results-this-season-scream-its-not-working-9690016.html

Three or four? | Pub team selection explained | Puns | Keep Calm | More

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:45 pm 
Manager
Manager

John Arne Riise scathing on Norwegian television. According to a former journalist and marketing chappie called Ketil B. Stensrud, Riise said Magath's methods are ancient. After they got back from the Derby match there was a team meeting at 10.30 in the evening.

Next day, instead of the normal "day after game" routine, they were sent for an hour's run, then another training session. Riise says their training sessions are "terrible". He got his info from Fulham players, which is worrying (for Fulham) in itself.

Three or four? | Pub team selection explained | Puns | Keep Calm | More

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Board index » GENERAL CHAT » Football chat